26: The Consequences of Finding

Royce's family had a routine.

He may be a loner, he may be miserable and he may also be the number one hater of himself but every day after school he had something to look forward to. Family meal.

They'd eat the dinner together like a proper family, gossip about their day, keeping up every member. Doesn't matter how busy one gets, they always managed to find time for each other, and sure, there were times when things turned out bad but overcoming those difficult moments is what life's all about. They love and support each other to the fullest like a family should and that's all that matters.

Royce's dad worked as an editor under a major company and his mother was an elementary school teacher. Royce adored his parents. His parents loved and spoiled him endlessly. Wren came to add more happiness to their lives.

Until.

When Royce was outed, he could only panic but trying to save his reputation was the last thing occupying his mind.

He was more worried about his loved ones and before things could get any messier, he decided to tell his parents everything, wanting to be completely honest. Upon finding his sexuality, his parents weren't overly supportive but they weren't exactly homophobic either. They were somewhere between neutral and Royce was okay with that, relieved even.

What his mother told him still rings in his mind every now and then, "It's your life, Royce. You're allowed to love whoever you want. We can't control you."

It was more than enough.

At first, they were distant and hesitant but his parents never made him feel unwanted. It took some time but they warmed up to his sexuality eventually and so, Royce made sure to keep his school life and home life separate, never letting his parents get a whiff of his depression.

He sat down on the table every day with a faint smile, watching his dad complain about how he was gaining weight and Wren scolding him to start dieting. Royce listened closely but never initiated in the talking. This was home. Not a place but rather the people he loved.

Royce's family had a routine. Family dinners every day and quite honestly, that was the only thing keeping him sane.