28: The Consequences of Changing

I updated three chapters.
Make sure to read them in order!

*

Royce noticed a change in Nathan's behaviour. Not that it was any of his business or he should care in the slightest but he simply couldn't ignore either.

Nathan stopped hanging out with the kids that were supposed to be his friends. Royce often saw him sitting alone during lunch, picking at his food, zoning out in lectures and sometimes he even disappears to God knows where. It was as if he cut off all ties, not just with his friends but with everyone around him. Announced his detachment with the world in a very conservative way. Who does that?

Him, apparently.

Royce knew he should pay absolutely no mind to him and his cheap tricks but the thought was there, lurking in the back of his mind, resurfacing from time to time in spite of him trying so hard to suppress his emotions. The whole situation was rather frustrating but he could only watch miserably from afar. Perhaps it might not seem like a major thing to others but for Royce it was bothersome.

Changes were inevitable but Nathan went from being the outgoing kid to not interacting with a single human just in a day. He appeared almost robotic as if he had his actions set on auto mode. That wasn't okay. Something must have happened because it was very unusual for him to be this way.

Or maybe Royce was overthinking yet again, looking into things too much and stuffing his head where it shouldn't be. Could it be the fight? Something beyond Royce's knowledge and grasp? Questions kept coming one after the other. Nathan couldn't just be pretending or was he finally showing his true self?

Royce didn't know which side of him was more pathetic. Whatever it was he couldn't help but feel things were going to fall apart soon.