Chapter 42

"Seriously, Elsa..."

"What?" My colleague shoots me an innocent look that doesn't fool me in the least. "You wouldn't have wanted me not to react when I found out you've finally got a boyfriend!" she adds, pinching my cheek as if I were five years old.

I slap her hand.

"Were you really obliged to scream it from the rooftop?"

"Oh, come on, bunny ears, don't make that face! You've already scooped double the amount of your usual tips!

Elsa goes to take the next order, a huge smile on her face as I roll my eyes. On the Central Perk's chalk board, instead of the daily menu, a huge rabbit has been awkwardly drawn with the following mention underneath:

"Let's give our hearty congratulations to our bunny ears – his name is Ethan! – he finally got himself a boyfriend!"

I find myself turning crimson just looking at this ridiculous ad. It's a good thing Elsa promised to erase it before Liz's inspection round at the end of the day.

That girl drives me crazy.

As much as the customers who ask me "why bunny ears?"

As if I'm going to give them the answer!

I breathe a sigh of relief when I see Madeline approaching the counter, immersed in her usual sudoku grid. At least there's one who won't ask any indiscreet questions!

"What can I get for you today, Madeline?"

"Oh, the usual, young man..."

She looks up, clears her throat before adding in a mischievous voice:

"And congratulations on the boyfriend, bunny ears!"

I stand there completely frozen, while Elsa bursts out laughing at the other end of the counter.

"Gosh, I can't believe it... Madeline listening to our conversations, looking like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth!"

"You know what they say cutie pie... It's always the quiet ones you have to watch!"

On that point, Elsa is right. Shift's over, we're putting aprons and name tags back in our lockers. Outside, the weather is grey, rainy, grumpy like a February day. Such is the summer in London!

"So, when do you see again Hot Capuccino Boy?"

I can't help but laugh at that cheesy nickname, that fits him!

"Tomorrow night, if plans don't change..."

"You look completely smitten," she adds with a smirk.

"Well... I am..."

Elsa stops in her tracks, stares at me. When she breaks the silence between us, I'm surprised by the seriousness of her tone.

"That's what I see."

She shakes her head in amusement.

"That's funny, I didn't expect you to get into a relationship with him... And to think you met him here! I guess meet cute also exists in real life..."

I cling to the first part of her sentence.

"Why? You think it's too soon?"

Are we going too fast?

I lower my eyes to evade her gaze. Elsa is one of the only people (with Sam and Ben, of course ) whose opinion really matters to me.

"Cutie pie, look at me."