Chapter 11

~ Layla ~

“Hey, Layla,” my mother called from downstairs; I was in my room working on my homework.

“Yeah, Mom,” I replied, “I’m up here.”

“Honey, there’s someone at the door for you.” My brow furrowed in confusion; who could be at the door? I wasn’t expecting anyone.

“Okay, Mom; I’ll be right down.” I headed downstairs and gave the stranger a small smile. “Hello,” I greeted, still confused at the pizza boy standing in the doorway. He smiled back.

“Hey, what’s up?” I frowned.

“Not much…?” I replied hesitantly. “Do I know you?” I asked. He chuckled and shook his head.

“I’m just here to deliver a pizza,” he informed me. I shook my head.

“I didn’t order a pizza.” He shrugged and handed me the large box containing the amazing smell. I looked at it; it had LaViano’s pizzeria logo on it.

“I’m just the delivery boy,” he stated simply. “And don’t worry about the price,” he added. “It’s already been paid for.” I assessed him curiously.

“Do you know by whom?” He shook his head again.

“No, sorry.” He smirked and turned to leave. “Enjoy your toppings,” he chuckled before closing the front door behind him. I was utterly baffled at the whole situation. I brought the box into the kitchen and rested it on the island.

“What’s that, honey?” my dad asked. “I didn’t know you ordered a pizza.” I gave him a look

“I didn’t,” I told him. “Someone else ordered and paid for it. This is so weird,” I muttered before opening the box and gasping. Oh, there were toppings, all right. Now I knew what the boy had meant when he said that. Green peppers, mushrooms and pepperoni slices were arranged in such a way that they spelled out the word 'Date?' and immediately, I knew who it was that had done this. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and quickly dialed his number.

I tapped my foot impatiently as it rang four, five, six times before he picked up.

“Hello?” I could picture the smirk on his face.

“Derek,” I growled. “What’s this about? Sending a pizza to my house?”

He chuckled. “What?” he asked. “You don’t like it? I could order another one for you, but I figured you’d enjoy the toppings.” I glared at the phone even though he couldn’t see me.

“What do you expect me to do about this? You know it’ll be going in the garbage. I don’t eat pizza,” I lied; I loved pizza, especially from LaViano’s, and it also surprised me that Derek picked toppings I really did enjoy.

“No it’s not,” he stated confidently. “I know you like their pizza, Layla. Facebook says a lot about you.” I was furious. He had stalked my Facebook? Why?

“Is this some sort of game to you, Matthews?” I snapped. “Because it’s not to me; this is my life.” He seemed to sober up at that.

“Layla, come on,” he begged softly. “Go on a date with me. You intrigue me, and I want to figure you out.” My eyes narrowed; he wanted to figure me out? What was I; a freaking Sudoku puzzle?

“Why should I, Derek?” I questioned him. “What is it that you really want? I won’t be another one of your girls,” I sneered. I heard him sigh through the phone.

“I know you won’t, Layla, and that’s one of the reasons I want to get to know you.” I was taken aback at that; he sounded so honest. I bit my lip and shook my head, sighing.