Family

Gulf was engrossed in his video game on a late Saturday afternoon when his phone started ringing.

Mew, who was lying on the couch and reading a book, looked up. "Gulf, do you mind answering that?"

Gulf groaned, still focussed on his game on the TV screen, "you pick it up, I'm busy".

Mew shook his head, picked up the phone and saw Gaia's name flashing.

"Hey bro, wassup?" Gaia chirped from the other side as soon as he answered the call.

"Hey Gaia, it's Mew. Your brother is busy with something really important" Mew answered.

"Oh, playing video game, isn't he?" She asked.

Mew chuckled, "Yes".

"Well, never mind him. You can answer instead. I am done with all the college assignments and have time to catch up with you guys. When can we meet?" Gaia inquired.

"How about dinner tonight? Come to our place. We can talk for as long as we want & you can sleep over" Mew said.

"That sounds great! And I'm thinking I'll head home from there tomorrow morning. I haven't seen mom and dad in two months, it's high time I paid them a visit" Gaia replied.

"Sure, see you then" Mew said.

"See you!" Gaia said and disconnected the call.

Mew was about to speak to Gulf when Gulf exclaimed, "Oi! I was about to win, these damn control buttons got stuck at the critical moment!"

Mew rolled his eyes, pulling Gulf towards him he kissed his grumpy baby's forehead. "Gaia is coming for dinner tonight, let's cook something nice for her".

Gulf pouted, "or we could just order khaprao?"

"Gulf" Mew was stern.

"Okay okay, let's get cooking!" Gulf said and got up to head towards the kitchen, giving up the hope of being able to continue playing video games.

Mew laughed and followed him to help.

***

They had had a hearty dinner the previous night. They had then talked and played board games till past midnight.

Mew went to the kitchen to make a quick breakfast before Gaia left for home, giving Gaia and Gulf some time alone to talk.

"I wish you could come along with me" Gaia said.

"I wish I could too" Gulf replied with a sad smile.

"You know how much dad has retracted within himself since he stopped talking to you 2 years ago? He's not the same laughing and joking person he was. I know he misses you..." Gaia said.

"You know I have been trying to talk to him, Gaia. Everytime I go home to wait for him in front of the door so that we can talk, he completely ignores my existence. He has forbidden me from entering home. He doesn't answer my calls. I can't really go to his work-place to create a scene. Atleast mom talks to me on phone, dad is totally blocking me out. You don't know how much it pains me to see him being like this" Gulf replied in frustration.

"I know... I know" Gaia said. "At times I feel that you being the ideal child always and then suddenly going against him shocked him more than you choosing a man as your life-partner did".

Gulf sighed, "maybe".

Mew entered the room with sandwiches and coffee, placing it next to them.

Gulf thanked Mew with a quick kiss.

"People in love stink", Gaia said making a cringe face.

Gulf smacked her head in response.

***

Her mother had prepared her favorite dishes for lunch and Gaia was ready to attack.

"Why such a hectic plan, Gaia? By the time you reached, it was almost noon and you have to leave again by the evening", her mother complained while setting the table.

"Your mom is right, you should've come yesterday if you were planning to visit", her father added.

"Well, yesterday I was completing my assignments till late afternoon and then I went to visit Gulf and Mew. I came directly from their place this morning", Gaia answered truthfully.

Her father froze for a moment. He then stood up and turned to leave.

"Dad!" Gaia exclaimed, "till when are you going to continue this? What has Gulf done wrong? Since when has being in love been a crime?!"

"He is the one who abandoned his family! Why are you siding with him? Or do you also want to follow in his footsteps and get rid of us?", her father asked angrily.

"Oh God, dad! Gulf has always been an ideal son and taken care of your wishes. The one time he wanted to choose his happiness, you kicked him out!" Gaia confronted.

"He is the one who chose to leave. He chose Mew over us", her father's voice was cold as ice.

Gaia growled in frustration. She had had enough. "Dad, even when Gulf realised that he couldn't be happy without Mew, he chose to take a transfer and move away just because he didn't want to do anything that he felt would upset you. Thank God fate brought them together again and Gulf realised that he was not only hurting himself but Mew too. He realised that he couldn't continue living a lie, it had drained all his happiness, he couldn't make you happy in that state, even if he wanted to!"

Her dad stared at her silently, her mom was sobbing.

Gaia sighed and continued, "You're talking about him abandoning us? Well, he has been making all the efforts to talk to you since past two years relentlessly, even though you keep on rejecting him! He didn't even allow me to tell you that I couldn't get the scholarship and he's the one paying for my fees and expenses because he doesn't want to burden or worry you!"

Her parents looked at her in shock.

Gaia's anger was growing by the minute. "All his life he did exactly what you said, whether he liked it or not! Why did you never ask what his heart wanted? You always decided what you thought was best for him but did you ever consider what his heart wanted. The one time he stood up for his happiness you threw him out like a piece of trash! He would never blame you, but I blame you! How could you just give up on him?!"

***

"I wish we could go with Gaia and meet my parents today", Gulf said as he took the dishes to the kitchen sink to wash after their lunch, "I miss mom and dad so much".

Mew back-hugged Gulf and rested his chin on Gulf's shoulder. "We'll convince them sooner or later baby, don't lose hope".

Gulf sighed, "I wish my parents were able to accept us as happily as yours did... I envy you sometimes!"

"They will accept us too, Gulf. Have faith" Mew replied.

Just then Gulf's phone started ringing. Gulf dried his hands to take the call.

"Hey Gaia, finished hogging mom's cooking?" he asked as the call got connected.

"G-Gulf.... Dad collapsed. We're driving him to City hospital" Gaia spoke from her other side, her voice trembling.

-----

A/N: Thank you for voting and commenting! Feedback is always welcome!