The Reason

Gulf saw Mew looking at him from a corner, their eyes met briefly and then Mew turned away.

Rose hugged him and he brought his focus back to her.

"It's so good to see you Gulf, I've missed you" said Rose.

Oliver gave him a hug too. "How have you been buddy?"

Gulf looked at them and smiled "I've been busy so couldn't contact much but I missed you all too... And I'm really happy for you both, Congratulations!"

Rose grinned, "We'll catch up soon. For now, I need to get going, it'll be rude to keep my soon-to-be mother-in-law waiting any longer".

Gulf nodded.

Giving Gulf a side hug, Rose and Oliver left.

Gulf looked to his surroundings, there were a lot of people he knew.
He couldn't stop his eyes from searching for Mew, and he found him standing alone at a distance, with his back towards Gulf.

Gulf sighed and moved towards the other direction where his college friends, Mild and Champ, were chattering away.

"Hey guys!" Gulf greeted them.

They turned to look at the newcomer.

"Oh look who we have here!" exclaimed Mild, "I thought you had disappeared from the face of earth!"

Gulf shook his head and smacked Mild's head lightly.

"Ow" Mild retorted, "we should be the ones hitting you!"

"How are you Gulf? We've missed you, things haven't been the same without you both" Champ said.

"I'm good. What do you mean by both, I thought I was the only one who left?" Gulf asked a bit puzzled.

Mild replied to that, "Well, since you've been gone Mew may be physically present here but he doesn't talk much to anyone, he's always lost in his own thoughts. None of you would tell us what fight was able to break the incredible bond you two shared, we don't even know how to help!"

Mild was frustrated, Champ patted his back to calm him down.

Gulf felt the guilt tugging at his heart.

He and Mew had always done everything together, it was like they were one package deal. After school they joined the same university, and while seeking job they applied to and got selected in the same company. Gulf couldn't have been happier, he couldn't imagine doing anything of which Mew wasn't a part.

And then one year ago Mew had confessed that he was in love with him. Everything went downhill from there. Gulf hadn't thought of Mew that way, to him Mew was his everything but that. Gulf didn't want their friendship to be ruined so he requested Mew to never mention it again, and thankfully Mew agreed.

But since then everything Mew did, his affection, his care, his possessiveness, it all reminded Gulf of the confession and made him uncomfortable thinking what Mew must be feeling and going through.

And then around 7-8 months ago, when they both were relaxing in their apartment on a weekend, Gulf found himself imagining what it would be like if Mew and him actually got together. He thought of them going on dates and he thought of Mew kissing him. His face suddenly flushed and his ears had gone red. He shook his head and snapped out of the thought. Why in the world was he even thinking that! He mentally smacked himself and re-focussed his attention back to the football match they were watching on television.

The next day at office, when he was in the loo, he heard some people making fun of and badmouthing about a gay couple in the office. Gulf's heart clenched. It had always mattered to him what people said, his parent's approval, society's approval was always important to him.
Mew, on the other hand wasn't one to be bothered about what others thought, he believed in doing what his heart wanted. He hadn't done anything dramatic in his life, but that was only because his heart wanted to be with Gulf and Gulf always chose the safe path.