CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

L O R E N Z O

I'd locked myself in my office, fully aware of the inferno inside me. I hadn't walked out for any reasons benefitting my ego, rather because I knew if I'd stayed one more minute in the same room as her, I would have failed epically in keeping my hands to myself. Not that I did a very fascinating job now.

My blood buzzed inside my veins, the web of desire trapping me as all the devilish things roared inside me to take her, fuck her like I'd wanted to for so many days. It was strenuous to keep the predator inside me in check, and I wasn't sure how long I could keep pushing her away with my coldness.

I knew Alexandra liked to play games, cazzo, we used to do it together all the time, however, I hadn't thought she'd make me a victim as well. And I'd fallen for her tricks so foolishly, revealing my hand.

Even the thought of containing this madness brewing deep inside my soul sounded far-fetched. I'd never been one to consider unreasonable options, and I hadn't wanted to start now, but the thought of giving in to this havoc seemed just as dangerous as it was thrilling.

I placed the Scotch tumbler with the residual drink on the table as I eyed the time on my wristwatch, deciding if it was about time I got some shut-eye myself. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I chugged the rest of my drink down and walked out of my study, not prepared in the slightest to deal with my wife. If she was awake.

Closing the door quietly, I got rid of my jacket, placing it neatly on the sette's arm as I slowly unbuttoned my shirt, my eyes trained on Andrea's back, the incessant need to keep her in my sights overruling my need for control.

The war inside me was new to me, almost as if an emotional cult had taken over my mind, and I wanted nothing to do with it. Yet, my fascination with this battle symphony was as new as ever, and so was the urge to explore all of its depths even though I didn't know where they would lead. Feeling an unbridled need to touch her, I let my feet lead me to her side of the bed as I crouched next to her face. My fingers latched onto a stray strand of hair on her face as I tucked it behind her ear, caressing her cheek with the back of my fingers.

Andrea stirred in her sleep, her hand barely grazing my arm as I'd taken that as my cue to push through the trance her mere presence induced. Even her barest, innocent touch burned my skin, leaving a trail of electricity in its wake.

I didn't know what to do with the poison, she'd given me a taste of, making me go feral for another taste. Even a mere whisper of her skin against mine.

She was the whisper in the woods, the scream in the fire, the very person that threatened to cripple me to ashes, and for reasons, unbeknownst to me I found that I didn't give a fuck about that.

I was fucked.

Shaking my head, I straightened, turning my back to her sleeping form. It was only then that I noticed the slight gasp slipping through her lips, the change in her rhythmic breathing, and the heat of her inquisitive gaze on my back. I didn't turn around, however, calling on every last bit of ruthlessness I'd been born with. I didn't turn around, never acknowledging my moment of weakness as I stepped inside the shower and stepped under the cold sprays of water.

My moment of vulnerability played inside my head on a loop, but I'd already decided it was best I forgot it ever happened, so I'd bleach the memory out of me. Even if it was only a futile endeavor.

* * *

For a woman who's already gotten away with more things than many did, Andrea still liked to test her luck. She refused to get inside the plane once we'd driven up to it, digging her feet in the ground like she was a goddamned toddler. Fucking hell, if I'd known earlier I would've gotten her a sedative before even getting her in the car. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I exhaled, then eyed Andrea again, who shook her head.