CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

L O R E N Z O

It seemed damn near impossible to strike when the fuckers kept raining bullets without any sign of stopping—even to reload—anytime soon. I decided to get to the parking lot via the service doors. Those were at the back, and for now seemingly safe if I wanted to slip out into the night and get a better shot at the motherfuckers. Looking for silver-linings wasn't me, but as I walked on my elbows to avoid the bullets the thought that this might be my chance to wipe my hands—and my name—clean of Ricci's death crossed my mind. There'd be questions, for sure, but I couldn't exactly focus on killing him when I was fighting off an attack, and considering there were going to be no witnesses for my dark charade I seemed pretty much in the clear.

Once behind the bar, I sat against the counter, my back against it as I removed the safety of the semi-automatic and fired blindly, uncaring to whoever the bullets were hitting. I got back down to replace the magazine and failed to notice a masked man showing up out of nowhere and shooting at me. The sound rang inside my ears. I didn't think then, and I tilted my body, letting the bullet tear through my flesh and embedding itself in my shoulder. The piercing sensation in my shoulder followed soon after as I held the open wound with my hand, pushing myself to my feet, trying to control my breathing.

It was clear they were here for me, however, I couldn't help but wonder how the fuck did they came to know my whereabouts. Perhaps it was another Juda's and I didn't particularly like the smell of treachery that was in the air. Groaning, I pulled my phone out of my pocket, it was time to call the Capo della Polizia, not to deal with these fuckers, no. Rather clean up this mess when all of these motherfuckers were dead, after all, I couldn't have my cover blown. I was an honourable business mogul after all. Before I had the chance to pocket my phone, a message lit up my screen.

Florence: The men are in position on the roof. Clear shot of twenty men standing, ten dead.

I didn't understand the reason for so many men, it was like whoever was behind this wanted attention, and not the good kind. I allowed Florence to let his men start taking them down just as I pulled the back door open, and stepped out in the open. The wind breezed past me as I shut the door behind me. I already knew Luca would have someone take care of the lights, and soon enough the whole place went dark. All the neon lights were now out, drowning the area in a malevolent tenebrosity as it prepared to soak up all the blood that was about to be spilt.

I was aware a couple of civilians might have gotten caught in the crossfire before they were sent up to the closed-off VIP area, but quite frankly I was fresh out of fucks to give. Using cars as my cover, I made my way across the lot and when I caught movement at my right, I whipped my head towards it, ignoring the rising tremors in my shoulder as I shot the motherfucker in the head, and he dropped to the ground before the gunshot could echo around the empty space. I suppressed a groan as my wounded shoulder throbbed with pain, and the blood oozing out of it soaked my clothes. Taking cover behind the car, I waited for Florence's snipers to do their job. I might want these motherfuckers dead, but I wasn't about to play roulette with my life by walking around the snipers' target places.

Only a few seconds later, a series of shots rang out in succession with the sole intention of killing. It was the declaration of war on an unseen enemy, one I'd take immense pleasure in unveiling and killing, however, before I could do that, I had to protect what was mine before dealing with him in a way I'd deemed appropriate.

Florence texted me an all-clear just as sirens from the police cars filled up the air. I stumbled towards my car, ready to end this fucking day and go home. Ordering Luca to get this mess cleaned up, I also shot a text to Milan, telling him to get to my place since he needed to take the fucking bullet out of me.

I opened the door of the car, threw my phone on the passenger seat just as I got comfortable behind the wheel with a bleeding shoulder and swerved the car onto the road.

* * *

So what do you think?

Any theories/thoughts?

I know this was a short one, but the next chapter is now up!