6 • Stranded

My assistant looked at me with such a grin, the smile reflected in my voice.

"What?" I asked, as she sat down beside me.

She pushed the espresso cup aside, one of many I'd been nursing since the early morning. We were almost out of money and options. 

She pulled out a white box from behind her back and placed it gently on the table. I peered at her as she settled into her cushion but she offered me no explanation.

I opened the ribbon to reveal a cupcake. It showcased a brain and I held it up to her, confused. She smiled sheepishly.

"There weren't any bakeries open on holiday but there was a neurology convention at the neighbouring hotel," she sighed. "I'm sorry you had to be stuck here with me today. Happy birthday."

"Thank you," I said, in earnest. "Though I'd probably be looking through our assets and liabilities for the next quarter. This is more special."

"So it wasn't the worst day?" she smiled again. I wanted to put her smile in my pocket and carry it with me everywhere.

"Not the worst," I said. "There was even one where a client took me out for drinks and left me stranded with the bill. He had some stranges choices in alcohol too."

"That's terrible. Okay, no. We're not doing that," she rose to her feet and held out her hand, "come with me."

I dropped my head to my shoulder.

"Up, up!" she held my hands and pulled me forward. I didn't mind her touch. The gentle tugs and warm passes.

She walked me across the street to a dock. She spoke to the boat owner, speaking as if she'd already made an arrangement.

"What did you do?" I asked, when she turned back to me.

Her eyes shimmered.