17 • We Meet in Handcuffs

The metal clinked as he raised his hands to wave. I rolled my eyes.

I took the keys from the top left drawer in the desk. When the junior officer stationed at the door tried to stop me, I silenced him with a glare.

He smirked as I released him from the handcuffs. I laid both the handcuffs and keys on the bench beside him.

I clasped his wrist, leading him out the door, when I came face to face with the superior officer on her way back from lunch. She didn't look impressed.

She pointed to the escapee, but before her junior officer detained him again, I stepped between them.

"You don't want to do this," I told the superior officer but I knew my warning would be in vain.

It was just enough time for the man behind me to reach into his pocket and pull out his identification. The officer's jaw dropped.

"Sir," she started and her throat caught.

"Not to worry," he said. "Your team was just doing their jobs."

"Is there anything I can get for you, sir? Tea? Coffee?" the officer asked, fumbling over her words. She gestured to the junior officer to leave the room and he scurried away.

He shook his head and took my hand.

"I have everything I need," he smiled. She turned to me wide-eyed.

"Sorry, Mom," I said, sheepishly. "It was supposed to be a fun prank but things got a little out of hand."

"It was my idea," Carlos assured her. "A little ribbing for the precincts I visit. Julie told me that you ran this precinct so we decided to do a little something extra."

Mom's eyes widened. She must have been thinking about how wrong it could have all gone, especially if she had thrown her boss's boss in jail.

"No harm done," Carlos said, "and it's a pleasure to meet you, finally."

Carlos held his hand out and Mom met it hesitantly.

"Finally?" she asked, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Julie's told me a lot about you," Carlos said, "and your late husband."

"How long have you two known each other?" Mom asked.

"A few months," I said, "maybe more."

It had been almost a year.

"And this is serious?" she asked.

"Absolutely," Carlos said. "We're both committed to this relationship."

"Well," Mom said. "What can I say?"

I darted forward to hug her.

"Oh, thank you!" I exclaimed. "And sorry again. We didn't mean to freak you out."

She ignored me.

"Are you hungry, Captain? My lunch got cut short because of an apprehension." Mom turned to Carlos.

"Lunch sounds great," Carlos stepped forward and offered his arm to my Mom.

"Julie," she said.

But it wasn't an invitation, it was a stay order. We'd have a much longer conversation in private when she returned.

Carlos touched his lips to keep from laughing and gave me a single nod.

"Good luck," I mouthed, and he smiled this time before his silent answer.

"You too."