25 • Two Dog Walkers

Being a dog walker was always an adventure. 

You never knew what kind of mood Nessie would be in.

Sometimes she trotted along, observant at times, but minding her own business. Other times, she would bite off flowers in other people's yards, treating the garden like a maze. 

Today, she was lively. 

A rabbit must have caught her eye from behind a tree. She wanted and a new friend and she'd be waiting for the rabbit to return before making any moves. 

I finally gave up on trying to push her forward and sat down on an empty bench in the dog park. I pulled her closer using her violet coloured leash, one that I'd never asked her black or grey suit wearing owner about.

In my defeat, I pulled some papers out of my backpack and layed them to the side of the bench. A page of stickers blew into the wind. As I got up to retrieve them, they landed on a man's shoe a few metres away. 

"Stamps?" he approached me. "I didn't think people used these anymore."

He held out the page and I snatched it defensively, turning my attention back to Nessie.

"Well, they do."

"I'm sorry," he peered at me. "I didn't mean to be rude."

"It's alright," I softened. He sounded genuine.

"I'm James," he held his hand out, "and this is Gypsy."

I looked down at his beautiful terrier, petting her coat.

"I'm Clara, and she's gorgeous," I breathed and he smiled, knowingly.

"She's the best," he said, "but only when she's not trouble." 

"I know what you mean," I replied, gesturing back at Nessie. Gypsy approached Nessie and the two started playing. 

"Fast friends," James commented. 

"Nessie loves making new friends," I replied, "we were waiting for a rabbit behind that tree over there but unfortunately, it didn't feel the same way about Nessie." 

"Sorry to hear," James said, still smiling. I gathered my papers, putting them back in my bag. 

"Do you want to join us on our walk?" I asked, hoisting my backpack over my shoulders. Nessie and Gypsy already started moving ahead, straining their leashes. 

"I think we'd love to," James replied, falling into step.