Leave Her

Ryder

It had been about two weeks without her and I was already questioning my sanity.

How did I ever last so many years without seeing her and now I can't even last two weeks?

I had missed seeing her cute little figure walking around the house with my clothes that were mostly too big for her.

Just thinking about her put a smile on my face. The want to give her affection became a need and I couldn't wait to get back and drown her in my affection.

Unfortunately though, Jason and his family were hard to convince. I had definitely earned the benefit of the doubt and they weren't so sure that I had her anymore.

My phone rang bringing me back to the real world and I picked it up after seeing it was Mrs Tanner, Amara's mother.

"Hello Mrs Tanner, how is your husband?" I asked worried.

If something serious happened to him Amara would never forgive me.

"He's better now. I was wondering if you could visit, your parents are here too" She said hesitantly.

I wanted to see them and my parents, but it would be really awkward seeing them after so many years.

My parents used to visit me from time to time, but they stopped when we found out about my dad's heart condition.

I felt guilty. I felt like the worst son I could be for not visiting him. Maybe now was finally the time.

"Yes, I'll be there in a few minutes" I breathed out.

"Great! Thank you, honey" She said happily and ended the call.

Amara had a lot in common with her mother, although she looked more like her father, her attitude was exactly like her mother's. It had always been that way and it still hasn't changed.

________

I walked in the hallway hesitantly, a little nervous to see them.

I saw my parents sitting on the chairs outside of a room while Mrs Tanner was talking to them.

I cleared my throat and they all looked at me.

There was a small pause until my mom smiled. I was happy to see her smile. I was hoping she would accept me.

She stood up and walked towards me before hugging me, "I missed you, Ryder" She said.

I could see my dad wasn't too happy. He was just shocked. I didn't blame him, I mean I never visited him even after I found out he's sick.

"Father" I called out after my mom let me go.

"Hello Ryder, it's nice to see you again" He said.

I cringed at the formality but decided to leave it at that and give him time. He would come around eventually.

"Mrs Tanner, it's nice to see you" I said holding out my hand for her to shake.

"Oh stop being so formal Ryder" She chuckled and hugged me instead of shaking my hand, "And I think I've told you to just call me Clara, a million times by now" She said pulling away.

Mrs Tanner had always been like a second mother to me. She was a really sweet lady.

"I'm sorry" I chuckled, "Is Mr Tanner awake? Can I see him?" I asked her.

"Of course, go ahead" He said gesturing towards the door.

I took a deep breath and walked into the door.