Chapter 22

The obvious realization that Tom Riddle's worst fear was indeed his own death, fueled a deep-rooted worry in Seraya. Strong ambition and endless resourcefulness ran through his blood, for he was the last heir of Slytherin. The young witch was certain that Tom would stop at no means to evade death. 

Obviously it was none of her business whether the young man gained immortality or not but she would have to make sure to show him less harmful and destructive ways than by creating horcruxes, for his sake and the sake of those who surrounded him. Professor Merrythought had stood stunned for several moments when Tom had suddenly barged out of the classroom before actually dismissing the rest of the class, most of which still remained gasping at where the boy had just disappeared. 

Seraya and Abraxas made their way towards the door of the room before the Professor called out: "Mister Malfoy, please come see me upfront." "Probably wants to ask you about Tom's actions," the Ravenclaw mused and immediately Abraxas sighed. "I'll catch you later then?", he asked with an annoyed look on his impeccable features. Seraya chuckled slightly: "Definitely." Her boyfriend leaned in for a quick and soft peck on the lips before turning to head up to Merrythought's desk while Seraya happily made her way to a class of Charms.

- - - - -

The word of what had happened during class had spread through the school like a wildfire. Hushed conversations and exaggerated tails of Tom Riddle's Boggart and how he had run in fear, like a coward, were shared at every corner and even the portraits could be seen gossiping. Seraya knew Tom would be unamused that people were sensationalizing his more private matter. 

The Ravenclaws had just finished their afternoon Potions class and the young witch found herself casually strolling through the halls alongside Eric and Timothy who were eagerly discussing more ways to prank the insufferable Francis MacLaggen. "Maybe we could slip some Veritaserum in his Pumpkin Juice", Tim mused. "Dude, if we get caught using Veritaserum on a fellow student, they'll kick us out. No, we should go more old-school...", the Whitmore boy answered, sporting a contemplative expression. 

Seraya sighed, once again it was up to her to ensure the success of two uncreative boys. "How about you jinx him so that he can only speak backwards for eight hours?", she proposed. Their heads shot up to look at her at once, eyes bright with sudden excitement. "That's genius. Do you know a jinx that can do that?" Of course she knew the jinx. 

Pulling her wand and showing them the correct motion, she replied: "The incantation is 'Inverte Verbum'; the effects can only be broken if the correct counter-jinx is spoken. A simple 'Finite' won't help." "Seraya Cassedy, you are the best," Eric spoke with admiration, "Where would we be without you?" The three of them laughed. Usually the girl didn't concern herself with childish actions and petty revenges but occasionally she took great pleasure in plotting other people's humiliation, it was just part of her character. 

Their laughter was interrupted when a hand was placed on Seraya's shoulder and Abraxas appeared beside her. He was mildly out of breath, as though he had just run to catch up to them. Timothy and Eric smirked at each other knowingly. "Hey Brax, everything alright?", she asked the blond boy. There was a glint of worry in those pale grey eyes, something Seraya hated to see in her boyfriend. He quickly greeted the other two boys with a polite nod. 

"We can't find Tom anywhere. He didn't show up to any of his other classes and he isn't in the dorm or the common room." "What about the library?" Abraxas sighed in frustration: "We checked the library and the Astronomy Tower already. Augustus searched the gains around the school and Claudius went up to the Come-and-go-room. We couldn't find him anywhere." He sounded desperate and completely exhausted. 

They had stopped walking to listen to Abraxas and Seraya found herself taking his shaky and cold hands in hers. "You know Tom better than anyone, Abraxas. If something aggravates him, he'll take some time to work through the issue on his own terms. I'm sure he'll turn up soon. Give him some space", Seraya wanted to be of more help, really, but she thought it best to let Tom settle his issues.