Chapter 18

Upon entering the study of Salazar Slytherin once again, Seraya had lethargically transfigured a pencil into a suitable armchair and had levitated it to face the chair on the other side of the desk. In a fluent motion she took a seat in the new armchair and watched as Tom headed for the other. The both of them sat quietly for several moment, basking in the feeling of Slytherin's magic humming within the room. 

"Abraxas told me about your little, well, rendezvous for lack of a better term. The boy has been helplessly pining after the likes of you, you know? Ever since you first stepped foot into this castle." Tom was the first to actively break the silence and his words caused the young witch to grin. Usually Tom Riddle was known to be very eloquent and sophisticated in his use of words and Seraya was amused to see that he was only a boy after all. 

"I'm fully aware of Abraxas' early infatuation with my person; his looks weren't exactly subtle." They laughed although Seraya noticed that Tom Riddle showed an expression of slight bitterness. Quickly resuming to the usual blank expression, Tom continued the light-hearted conversation: "The basilisk seemed absolutely ecstatic to see you again. Are the two of you close?" "We're as close as human and gigantic magical snake can be, I guess. Rex told me once that my scent was calming to a basilisk, whatever that is supposed to mean." 

The Slytherin prefect hummed in thought before continuing: "In all honesty, I must admit to being a bit envious of your relationship with the creature I assumed to be sole master of." He paused several moments, then said: "On that note, I believe it to be the right time to officially open the Chamber of Secrets and continue the noble work of Salazar Slytherin. What do you say?" That was indeed something the young witch had been looking forward to. 

Obviously with his knowledge of Tom's unique ability to speak parseltongue, Professor Dumbledore would immediately know who was responsible for the attacks on muggleborn students. "I agree, Tom, now seems to be a good time to stir up chaos and fear amongst the student body. Might I suggest however, that we take care to confuse Albus Dumbledore regarding the perpetrator of the deaths and or petrifications? Since eleven-year-old you so kindly told him you could talk to snakes, he probably is already aware of your ancient lineage. 

Once the attacks start, he will start keeping an obnoxiously close eye on you which will definitely hinder your plans. I propose that, since there are now two people in this castle who can order and control the basilisk, we make sure to place you in an obvious setting, where the old goat will see you while I carry out another attack on a mudblood. That will likely throw him off and might even plant a seed of doubt regarding his perceptions of your person," the Ravenclaw elaborated her ideas and watched in satisfaction as a vicious grin spread across Tom's sharp features. 

"Seraya Cassedy, you are a devious genius. I could kiss you right now, metaphorically of course." Seraya laughed at his dramatic flare and replied: "Better not, although you are his best friend and idol of sorts, Abraxas might kill you if you kissed me." "True, Malfoys are renounced for being rather jealous and possessive partners," he mused. It remained quiet for a couple of minutes, both not knowing what to say next, for different reasons. 

Seraya praised herself for being quite possibly the only person to know who Tom Riddle really was and thus didn't have many questions for the boy while Tom was mentally debating on what subject to inquire her first. Obviously, it had been established during their first discussion that they had similar aims and ambitions, yet Tom still felt like he didn't know whom exactly he was dealing with. Seraya Cassedy was as much an enigma to him as she had been since coming to Hogwarts. 

Again, the heir of Slytherin was the first to break the silence: "I must admit to being quite curious about your magical abilities and affinity. Since parselmagic is all about intent, the ministries worldwide categorized it as dark magic, rubbish if you ask me, therefore I presume you must have a magical affinity inclined towards grey or even dark magic. Correct me if I'm wrong."