Chapter 13

A week had passed since the incident with Lestrange and Seraya would have been able to completely forget it, if it weren't for the intense stares of nine particularly nosy Slytherins that scrutinized her at every given opportunity. Currently, the only places away from those pestering eyes were the Ravenclaw common room and the depths of the library. The Room of Requirement would be unavailable to her for a while, since she assumed that Riddle would have at least one of his guys watching the corridor. 

Hence, she had opted to spend her Sunday afternoon in the library, the aisle on advanced Transfigurations had become her self-proclaimed private corner. Earlier that day she had snuck into the kitchens and had asked the eager house-elves to pack some fresh strawberries as well as several chocolate-chip cookies. Before munching on the snacks, Seraya had magically ensured that there would be no traces of food left on the floor and on the books. 

Currently she was immersed in a copy of 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard', a popular book for children. What only few people know however was that the tale of the Deathly Hallows and the three brothers had actually been based off a real story. It was said that gaining possession of all three Hallows would make the witch or wizard the master of death and thus immortal. The assumption had never been proven since no one had ever been in possession of all three Hallows at the same time. 

Alongside gaining freedom for the wizarding world, Gellert Grindelwald had made it his life's work to collect the three objects; the Elderwand; the Resurrection Stone and the Invisibility Cloak. If the rumors were anything to go by, Grindelwald remained in possession of the Elderwand, the most powerful wand ever created. Similar to when Abraxas had first come to talk to her in the library, the chair next to Seraya was placed to face her in a swift movement. She looked up from her book to be met with the handsome face of Tom Riddle. 

She had mentally prepared herself for an encounter with Riddle after what had happened with Lestrange but seeing him standing in front her now made her feel utterly uneasy. "May I sit?", he asked politely. "Be my guest," replied Seraya slightly bitter and dismissive. Riddle elegantly took a seat in the chair and crossed his legs. He looked as much the posh gentleman he pretended to be. Tom's gaze fluttered to the book in her hand and he smirked. "'The Tales of Beedle the Bard', into children's literature, are we?", he asked mockingly. 

"Perhaps, I find the stories rather fascinating. It allows me to dream of greater things", came her smooth reply before continuing, "so, what brings you here. I am getting an odd sense of déja-vu." Tom laughed though it sounded cold and hollow. "Ah yes, I know all about your discussion with Abraxas Malfoy. I also know that the gut-wrenching story you told him about your upbringing in a muggle orphanage was not the truth. So, tell me, Miss Cassedy, why lie?" Seraya hated that the other sounded so smug. 

"What makes you think that what I told Abraxas was a lie?" "Several things really. I had someone look into your time before Hogwarts because you just wouldn't make any sense to me," Riddle admitted shamelessly, "you don't seem to have existed before your time at Ilvermorny. Imagine my surprise." This time Seraya laughed equally as cold and sarcastic: "Indeed Mister Riddle, how curious." "Do not mock me, Miss Cassedy. Now tell me, where did you come from. Who were you before coming to Hogwarts?" 

The nerve of this boy... "Really, Mister Riddle, what gave you the impression I would willingly tell you all about my past?" The heir of Slytherin was sporting a triumphant look as he responded: "I was never under the impression you would tell me willingly. You see, I know of a rather controversial incident involving yourself, you know back in fourth year, and it would be most unfortunate if the authorities found out that you altered memories and official documents.

 As I've previously relayed to you, Miss Cassedy, I had someone work on discovering your background and upbringing." "More like you got people to poke their noses into things that plainly were not their business", Seraya scoffed distastefully. Tom Riddle thought he was so high and mighty. Well, just like him she had done her digging and had found something that would hopefully be enough to keep him from bribing her.