Young Love

Seoul, 2002

"Yejin-ah, I love you. I can't live without you. You mean everything to me and I don't ever want to be apart from you..." Hyun Bin recited to himself and immediately shook his head.

No, too cheesy.

"Marry me, Yejin."

Too stale.

"Yejin-ah, in the words of renowned author Maya Angelou, 'Love recognizes no barriers, it jumps hurdles, leaps fences..."

No. Stop quoting!

Are you presenting a thesis? He chastised himself.

"I think it would benefit both of us if we got married, don't you agree? We already spend all of our time together, why not make it official?"

Terrible.

He raked his fingers through his thick mane, sighing in exasperation. Why is proposing to the girl you love so difficult? It's just one question. Aiishh.

Sitting on a bench just outside of the building where Yejin will be coming out from, he used the half hour before she finished class to rehearse his proposal.

He'd been practicing for days after picking up the diamond ring from the jewelry store

He'd been practicing for days after picking up the diamond ring from the jewelry store. The small velvet box sat comfortably inside his pants pocket, waiting to make its grand entrance.

It was a humble, one-carat diamond he purchased with all the cash he saved from his labor at the restaurant.

Ahjussi had finally decided to truly pay him after he worked off what he owed. From there, he knew exactly what he was going to buy with that money.

The ring was a simple solitaire cut, the best that he could afford. A classic that can't ever go wrong, the jeweler said. Colorless or something like that. Yejin wasn't the materialistic type so he's sure she'll love it regardless.

But the conundrum still stood-how the hell was he going to ask her? She detested things too sappy or flashy, so that limited the options.

After revealing the ring to Yejin's parents, Hyojin, and his buddies Gong Yoo and So Ji Sub, none of them were surprised but all shared the same thought: Was he sure that now was a good time?

His answer for each of them was the same: Yes.

Frankly, he'd never been more certain about anything than he is about Yejin. He knew the first moment he saw her standing across the street from him talking with her friend.

It wasn't just because she is the most beautiful girl he'd ever come across, but she is also the best person he knows. She loved with all of her heart and saw the best in everyone. There is nothing but kindness in her bones. She made him feel like the smartest, funniest, most good looking guy in the world. He was the best version of himself when she's around.