Wins and Loss

"Appa, it was pathetic," Yejin finished her narration as she helped her father rise from his medical bed. The older man took her hand and lifted himself up. "Like two toddlers fighting for a toy."

Appa released a chuckle when he finally settled into a comfortable sitting position. Shaking his head in mirth, he said, "Oh, to be young again." He looked at his daughter. "Yejin-ah. I told you before that when men are in love, they're not sane. They don't even act like adults when they're not in love, what do you expect from them when they are?"

Hyojin guffawed next to them, bringing both of their attention to her.

"Abeonim, still. You should've seen them," her friend. "It was like something out of a makjang drama."

"Don't encourage it," Yejin berated. "Why didn't you stop them?"

The taller woman's mouth opened up as she pointed to herself. "Me? They are two grown ass men who should've been able to control themselves! Take it up with them!"

It was true, Yejin sighed. They were hopeless.

She'd never seen this side of either Bin or Nam-Gil. They were both usually polished and cultured, not to say that they don't have their moments. The little competition they had during their high school years was just a pinch of immaturity, but they were kids, so it was expected. Now... they're almost forty, for goodness sakes.

What was she to do about them? If there was no change and time went on, they're only going to get more out of control. How will she survive that?

"You're going to have to play referee here," Hyojin stated. "Since the testosterones won't play nice, you'll have to put a stop to it."

"It's not as easy as it sounds," Yejin muttered. She cared about both men and didn't want either of them to be hurt because of her, but there was no simple solution. At the end, the only person she should really care about is herself.

What would be best for her?

***

Two mornings later, a server seated Yejin on the private corner of Two Bean, a spot Nam-Gil would have reserved for her whenever she visited. Her coffee was already ready for her before she sat down. The night before, he had acquiesced right away when she told him she wanted to talk after ignoring his and Bin's calls the last few days.

Those days of space were devoted to a lot of thinking and ruminating, where it was a close battle of the heart against logic. And in the end, she wasn't sure which won. Perhaps in reality, there wasn't truly a win or lose, and that's the best she could ask for.

She hadn't rehearsed what she was going to say to Nam-Gil, but had instead trusted herself to do the right thing by him. He was a good man, after all.

Yejin scanned the shop and smiled at the full occupancy in the area. Business looked good, and for that she was happy for Nam-Gil. He worked hard to get to where he is today.

Only a few minutes later and the handsome man appeared in front of her. His smiling face was genuine and his eyes shone of delight. The apron wrapped around his black jeans made him more approachable than the big successful owner aura he normally exudes.

"Yejin!" He immediately sat down and grabbed her hands from across the table. "I'm so happy to see you. I was afraid you wouldn't speak to me again after what happened, but now that you're here, my worries are gone."

He's such a treasure, Yejin thought before politely pulling her hands away.

"How is your...eye?" She pointed to the black and blue splotch near his nose bridge.