// thirty-one //

•Tempt My Torment

••••••

••••••

"M A R I N A W A S K I L L E D O N the first of June, around 9:30 p.m. at the pool room of Las Encinas school. She was left there bleeding to death," the investigator continued to speak, staring at her suspect, who continued to look down with a blank look on her face.

"Why are you telling us this?" the person next to her spoke with a small sneer, but the lawyer shook his head, telling the person to be quiet for now.

The woman glanced back at her to see the brown eyes stare back with the dullest emotion on her face. "I just want to know what were you doing that day?"

"Nothing much, being a disappointed daughter, a hurting ex-girlfriend and a bad friend," she answered with a simple shrug, calmer than she was before her father came.

The investigator mused, narrowing her eyes. "Still, tell me about that day."

Reina raised her eyes up again, going down a memory lane of the worst day of her life yet.

A F E W D A Y S A G O:

The clock on the wall was probably the only thing with sound that morning of June first, a day of their end of school year and, in parallel, the worst day in most of their lives.

Reina was in her home's dining area, sitting in front of her parents, who were both quiet. Even Alejandro seemed to have lost the ability to speak and none parent held eye contact with their daughter, who agreed to come even if she didn't want to. She had to be in school and then get ready for the party of other graduates, but this one time Alejandro allowed her to skip education.

Since the beginning of the school year, Reina dreamed with Lu and Carla that they'd bring their dresses to school, get ready in the crowded women's changing room and dance until dropping with their boyfriends.

A whole year passed and none of them had their boyfriends anymore, nor did they share friendship. Lu was suspended, Carla broke up with Polo, seemingly still very worried about the watches and Reina was changed for the better or worse, this was still a mystery to everyone.

What Reina herself knew were the feelings she had and they were far worse than what she felt when she was still a shy, uptight girl.

It was unbelievable what four months, this short period of time, did as well as these three new students. Reina wanted to blame all of them, but instead Marina was the faulty one, no matter how much Reina didn't want to blame anyone, but herself.

"I'm sure you know why we invited you here," Alejandro broke the eery silence with words, which made Reina remain passive. She watched her parents glance at each other, Susana's calmness to the situation giving away the feeling that Reina wasn't going to like whatever they were going to say. "This past few months have been hard for all of you, me included, and we all made mistakes."