Chapter Three - Daniel

“Dad, I’ll have the pictures to you in a minute,” I said into the Bluetooth mouthpiece that connected to the walkie clipped onto the waistband of my khaki shorts.

I was waiting by the Hair, Makeup and Wardrobe trailers for the Makeup department production assistant to deliver continuity photos to me. Dad thought Vanessa’s “bruises” didn’t look quite the same as they had yesterday. He couldn’t shoot the scene until he was either convinced they were the same, or the makeup crew corrected them. Dad was butting up against the union mandated lunch, and he was anxious to get this scene shot.

My walkie crackled. “Yeah,” I answered. 

“Gemma’s on her way,” said Sasha, her voice full of static.

Warm hands wrapped around my waist and I turned to see whom they were attached to. Eli! A broad smile filled me both inside and out. Sunshine had arrived on this overcast morning. My arm went around Eli’s shoulder and I hugged her tightly. I kissed the side of her forehead.  

 “Here, Danny.”

Gemma, handed me the manila envelope I’d been waiting for.

“Thanks,” I said, and she disappeared back to her trailer.

“Dad,” I said into the Bluetooth, “I’m on my way.”

But first my beautiful lady needed a proper welcome. I took Elizabeth’s face in my hands and kissed her. Her sweetness tasted so good. I couldn’t get enough.

“Happy birthday, baby,” I said as I hugged Eli tightly. “This week was too long.”

Though Dad  had let me go home last weekend, Sunday seemed an eternity ago.

Elizabeth smiled, glowing. Her eyes were drunk with the love I felt. I had no choice but to kiss her again.

I was aware that a makeup artist hurrying to the set had spied us, and she smiled. I pulled my lips from Eli’s and shrugged, embarrassed by the attention.

My arm around Eli’s shoulder, we approached Dad moments later. He was anxiously waiting with the makeup artist for my arrival. Vanessa lurked nearby.

“Look what found me,” I said cheerfully.

“Birthday Girl!” Dad exclaimed and he warmly embraced Eli. “Good flight?”

“Yes. Early flight,” she laughed.

“But worth it. At least to me. This is the first smile I’ve seen on Danny all week.”

“Dad! That sounds so pathetic,” I complained. Eli laughed.

“Film to make, Daniel,” Dad said, and he snatched the envelope from my hand.

“Honey, sorry I can’t talk,” Dad said to Eli. “We break for lunch in half an hour and I’ve got to get this shot done before the afternoon sun comes out and ruins my continuity.”

“Of course,” Eli answered. She understood. Only on a film set would someone want it to be cloudy.

“Danny, you’ve been here since five and your call wasn’t until six. If I didn’t already know you, I’d say you were trying to impress the boss,” Dad teased.

“Maybe I am,” I laughed.

“Take Elizabeth and reunite. You’ve earned a half-hour off.”

“Thanks, Dad.” 

What a surprising gift! I wouldn’t have dared ask for it, and perhaps that was why Dad was granting it.