Chapter One - Daniel

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA

            “Hey, Dad,” Steve Newman opened the door to his room, and I followed him in. 

The spacious two-story Prime Minister Suite in the Four Seasons Hotel was largre than most apartments. With sweeping views of downtown, it was exactly the accommodation an A-list director expected. 

“Close the door, Daniel,” Dad ordered. 

What was with the formality? Dad never called me Daniel unless I was in hot water. Up to now I’d been the perfect employee, so what the fuck?

I plopped down on the light tan colored sofa. Before I could cross my legs, there was tapping on the door. 

“Good evening, Steven,” Vanessa purred. 

Her flirty timbre was exactly what one would expect from the stunningly beautiful star who’d made a career playing the femme fatale. Even on an off-day, Vanessa’s perfectly coiffed brown hair fell satiny smooth below her shoulder, poised to flip if the need arose. Her mischevious brown eyes hid her essence like a protective mask, beckoning you to enter as a dare, keeping all in her presence guessing.

Dad led Vanessa into the suite. I rose as a courtesy.

“Vanessa, have a seat,” he said curtly.

What could Dad possibly want with both his P.A. and his star? 

            “Hey, Vanessa,” I said.

            “Hello, Danny,” she said sweetly.

            Vanessa perched herself on the sofa, her back supported by the large russet throw pillow. Her long, slender legs stretched out from beneath her short skirt for all to admire. She smiled at me, the seductive smile that had graced so many magazine covers. 

            Vanessa indicated with her eyes that I should join her on the sofa. I opted for the stiff russet chair instead, despite it  placing me in the line of fire, across from Dad.

            “This is strictly business, Daniel.” Dad said sternly.

            I was definitely in trouble, but I honestly didn’t know why. And what was Vanessa doing here? 

            The answer became apparent a moment later when Dad gave Vanessa and I each copies of an internet gossip item. It contained a photo of Vanessa and an unidentified man, me, taken at a popular Yaletown club two nights earlier. 

            What was the big deal? I was even of legal age in Vancouver. Vanessa and I handed the sheets back to Dad and exchanged looks of ‘so what’.

            “Daniel?” Dad demanded. 

            “Good music at a good club. What of it?”  I answered. Dad glared.

            “What’s going on Vanessa?” he asked.

            “Ask me again on Monday, Steven. Then I should have something to tell,” Vanessa trilled. Her voice was so flirty, Dad and I both blushed.

            “Vanessa, there will be nothing to report on Monday.” Dad tried to contain his building anger, and failed. He was steaming. “As of this moment whatever you think is going to happen will absolutely not be happening. You will not be screwing my son.” 

            Whoa! Dad!

Then he turned to me, sightly calmer, but curt. “Daniel, if you do anything like this again, you will be sent packing, and that is not a conversation I want to have with your mother. Nor is it one that you will want to have with Elizabeth. Am I clear?”