Chapter Twenty - Elizabeth; Chapter Twenty-One - Elizabeth

I woke, lethargic and confused, my eyes dry and sticky with sleep. I glanced down. Gym shorts and a baggy tee? No Danny? His presence was strong, but he wasn’t in my bed as usual. Then the nightmare that defined yesterday came flooding back. Hollow emptiness and tears followed. When they subsided, I couldn’t move from the security of my bed. Where would I go anyway?

There was rapid knocking on my door. Someone was at my door. Danny? Had he come to apologize? Please.

“One moment,” I called out.

An unexpected adrenaline rush pulled me out of bed and I made it across the room in three strides. Flushed, I turned the knob and swung open the door. 

“Mom!” I cried, and I collapsed sobbing into her warm, welcoming arms.

Mom quickly packed my overnight case. Then she ushered me into her waiting limo, and whisked me away to the Mayflower Inn in Washington Depot, a town in Litchfield County, Connecticut. 

Two days of spa treatments and motherly advice was just what I needed. While I remained heartbroken, I felt refreshed, energized and, attractive again. The force of Mom’s personality would not allow otherwise. Still depressed, I was functional again, no longer frightening either of us.

Upon returning to Donnelly, I had three hours before dinner to reflect and prepare. Mom and I strategized that I would not hide. Danny and I had too many friends in common. I would not give them up because of him. Let Danny be the uncomfortable one.

Publicly I would behave as though nothing were the matter. Dinner would find me at my usual table. If Danny didn’t like it, he could move. This was his fault anyway. 

I’d even study with him as we always did on Sunday evenings if he desired. Yes, I would be the mature one, and at least give friendship a try. I’d show Danny what he was missing.

By four-thirty I was antsy.  If I had had to wait more than another fifteen minutes before getting Rachel, I’d have worn a hole in the hardwood floor from pacing.

My reflection in the mirror caught my attention. Red, puffy eyes had been replaced by clear, green ones. Subtle eyeliner and mascara gave them some life, but their flatness was still obvious. I might fool a casual observer, but not Danny. 

I resigned myself to my appearance being the best I could manage for today. As time passed, the sparkle would surely return. Time would heal me, Mom had said. I had to believe she was right.

I noticed a few stray hairs and went for my hairbrush. How many times had I brushed my hair already? Too many. I had lost track. 

A knock at my door saved me from becoming truly obsessive.

“Rach,” I exclaimed happier than I had known I’d be to see her. I had not seen her since Thursday at lunch. Rachel gave me a comforting hug and closed the door.

“Elizabeth, I’m so sorry about you and Danny.”

I bit down on my lower lip determined to keep the tears at bay.

“Yeah,” was all I had the energy to say.

“You look great though. You’re holding up much better than I’d have thought.”

“I’m not holding up, Rach. I’m a mess. I’ve been stabbed through the heart and I’ve lost my best friend in the world. I’m a total wreck.”

For the first time since I’d known her, Rachel was at a loss for words.

“Well you look great,” she repeated.