Chapter 9

I have yet to talk to Diaval or Maleficent about my ailment. And I don't want either of them to know about it. It was a fallout weakness of being a druid. You heard the thoughts of both the living and the dead. And these thoughts spilled inside of you head, never ever stopping. And corrupting your thoughts. And only the bad thoughts remained. The bad thoughts intensified. Made the good thoughts bad and everything else.

The Druid's Curse. What every Druid goes along with. I have been like this for ages and not once had it been a problem I couldn't control. I could conceal it within me, never letting anyone else see into the darker parts of being a creature of light. But that was before Maleficent had her servant, Diaval, live with me because she thought it would be for the best. I don't think it would be. I still don't.

Even if he has been living with me for three months.

The one person I did not want to find out about it most likely was told about my slump the previous night: Maleficent. I didn't want her to know. For two reasons. One, I could handle my own problems my way without any interference. Two, I didn't want to find out what her reaction would be to the news. And in my current situation, I couldn't fathom why she had not yet asked about it.

What was my current situation with Maleficent?
The answer to that is quite simply.
The answer is...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
We were having a sort of brunch thing (that was my idea like two years ago before Stefan became king. Before he stole her wings. Before he lied to her. Before he broke her heart.). And it was not going as well as I would have liked. One being that the other moorfolk were giving us some pretty weirded out looks by our wack ass environment. Two, it was an awkward quietness around us. Three, I had a sinking feeling that I would die at some point in this very weird scene.

"So, [Y/N], Diaval tells me you have trouble sleeping at night." Maleficent told me as she continued to eat her druid pancakes. Yep, I was going to die.

"He must have been mistaken." I told her.

The brunette fae sent me a darkened look amongst her emerald eyes. "I put Diaval inside of your home not so you could give him a place to stay, but for him to watch over my favorite person and the only one I consider family." Pain shot straight to my heart. "So if Diaval says you have trouble sleeping at night, then he must not have been mistaken."

"I don't have trouble sleeping at night. What exactly did he tell you?" I inquired.

"That you had trouble during the nights. Says you're afraid of your mind. I assumed he was saying you have nightmares or suffer through insomnia which is a symptom of suffering through nightmares." she explained.

I do have trouble during the night. That's because the dark thoughts are at its strongest during the night. With all of the shadows lurking there ready to strike at you no matter the time nor place you are at.

"Would you care to tell me why I'm wrong?" she asked me.

I sighed, knowing that I would have to tell her eventual. So, I'll tell her. "Druids can hear the thoughts of the living and the dead. And naturally, the darker of the thoughts corrupt the druid's mind and the good-natured thought, contorting them until they too are wicked. And sometimes the force of them at once makes me have a breakdown where all I am is a consumed druid of horrible thoughts that manifest into my already biggest regrests and what I see as mistakes and failures. In my eyes, it's a curse. In retrospect? It actually is."