12 :: scarlet red

"Yes, sire," you respond politely, "Yes, I will have the full write up given to you by tomorrow. Goodbye, sire." And you hang up. Jungkook starts the car on ignition as soon as you are done with the call. You look to your left and through Jungkook's being, you see the police cars parked all around the warehouse, the red light illuminating in the late evening. Officers rush into the warehouse, swarming around the place.

"Hey, Y/N," he pauses. He rip out a piece of his shirt absent-mindedly and pulls you forward, trudging your being into the gear stick as he holds your injured arm up and ties the bleeding wound up, the cloth of his white shirt staining red slowly. "Are you alright?"

"A little shaken up," you smile. "And the slight scratches," Jungkook glares at you and you chuckle, insisting, "I'm fine."

"I'm glad you didn't get hurt," you mumble, relieved. Almost like you can take easy breaths now and the air is a lot less suffocating. "I am, oh my—"

"Hey, hey," Jungkook frowns. "But you got hurt."

"Meh," you shrug. He looks towards you and your hair is loose, barely keeping it up in that ponytail of yours after the entire commotion but you don't bother to tie it back up properly, letting huge strands of hair fall forwards as you look down at your knees, the jeans now ripped.

"Have you ever been in a shootout before?" Jungkook asks. 

"Of sorts," you mumble. "It didn't end well though. I was worried today would be a repeat show of that. Sorry for being a wreck in the beginning." 

You pull down the window of his car as he finally pressed on the gas, the car pulling forwards. The breeze pushes the strands of your hair behind and Jungkook holds his breath in moments like these. He wonders if it is possible for someone to look pretty even after a shootout with scratches and injuries on their body, but you pull it off so well that he thinks it's hot. He thinks it's hot enough that you took the big bulky man down but the way you were unfazed after that, that was sheer excellence in Jungkook's eyes and all he could do was gape at how beautiful you are. 

"Hey," Jungkook brings your attention back to him and away from the passing trees and the low noises of the sirens ringing the air. "Did the District Chief reprimand you or something?"

You laugh, "You're kidding, right? Miguel Loret was a drug-runner and a rapist who we suspect of at least eighteen gangland murder. I might just get a medal for this."

"Find Dr. Ross and you might get two," Jungkook teases, his right hand on the gearstick and the other on the steering wheel, occasionally flashing you a smile or two as he drives.

"Jungkook," you frown. "I don't think he's our guy. I don't think he's our Maskmaker. The way he acted in there and the way he reacted to us? He didn't seem like it. He doesn't seem to me as someone with a deep psychosis."

Jungkook sighs, "I had a feeling you'd say that."

Jungkook's phone rings and the car audio rings along with it. He presses on a button on the steering wheel, putting Captain Kim through the line. 

"Detective!"

"Cap!"

"Hey, Captain," you laugh over. Jungkook smiles and informs, "You're on speaker technically, Cap."

"About Dr. Ross," Captain Kim starts.

"We don't think he did it, Cap," Jungkook cuts him off. He nervously chews on his bottom lip and looks at you. "We don't think Dr. Ross is our guy."

"What in the world?" 

"He doesn't seem like it," you explain further. "I know it might seem like he is the guy but we spoke to him, Captain. He doesn't seem like it."

"I don't want to hear it, the two of you," his voice is firm and authoritative. "Miguel Loret is dead, Dr. Ross escaped and now you're telling me that he might not be the killer?"

"It's a working theory," Jungkook protests and you heave out a sigh in frustration.

"I appreciate that you're working on theories, Jungkook—" 

"Thanks," he sheepishly smiles. 

"But what facts do you have to support it? All the evidences point towards Dr. Ross being the Maskmaker. He even matches the profile Y/N made," Captain Kim tells and your eyebrows rise at him calling you by your first name. 

"Ah, yes, but—" you trail.

"I don't want to hear it, Y/N," he says, frustrated. "Unless the two of you can back up your allegation, Dr. Ross remains as our prime suspect.

"Listen to me, Cap—"

"No, you listen to me. Because of you, we've got one cartel officer in the morgue, one in the burn ward and," Captain pauses. "Y/N resulted in the third one with a broken jaw." You click your tongue in annoyance.

"I did what I had to do," you blatantly say. 

"It was a righteous shoot!" Jungkook whines and Namjoon is quick to respond.

"I know and that is why you're not being suspended. Again. I pulled every string and cashed every favour I had with the Commissioner to let you two continue this case, or at least till we have Dr. Ross brought to justice."

"Thank you," Jungkook decides to choose his words wisely. "I appreciate it."

"I want the two of you back at the precinct to search for—"

"I can't, however, oblige with that request of yours, Cap," Jungkook cuts Namjoon's sentence and you're surprised at him refusing an order.

"Why, may I ask?"

"Y/N's injured. I'm not coming anywhere near the precinct till I have her taken care of," Jungkook responds in monotone and you look away, cheeks staining red. You also want to yell at Jungkook to stop treating you like some fragile doll but you won't deny that the care felt nice.

"Are you alright, Y/N?" Captain's voice booms through the speaker, louder this time.

"I'll be fine, Captain. It's probably nothing and Jungkook is overreacting."

"You won't stop bleeding, so shut up."

"Uh, I'll leave you two to it." Captain Kim's voice pipes in between your quarrel and you mumble, "Okay."

The Captain hangs up and you roll your eyes at Jungkook, "I'm not injured severely."

"You're injured nonetheless," his voice rises and he glares at you, pressing on the gas a little bit more. You mumble, incoherently, "I'm fine," and Jungkook chooses to ignore it, turning on the radio news.

Captain Kim's voice booms through the speakers as he addresses a crowd of reporters, "Thank you for coming here today. As you already know, we have a break in the Maskmaker case. We now have a primary suspect: Dr. Marques Ross. At the moment, Dr. Ross remains at large but we hope that the citizens of San Francisco will co-operate in our attempts to bring him to justice…"

"Everyone — Every cop — is going to be behind Dr. Ross while the real Maskmaker is still at large."

"That's not good," you sigh and you notice Jungkook pulling into the parking lot of a residential complex.

"Yeah, it isn't," he says, unbuckling his seat belt after parking. He leans forward and hovers over your body, as you can feel his breath by your face, the cold essence of peppermint chewing gum fresh from his mouth. He unbuckles your seat belt for you and looking at you with his nose brushing past yours slightly, he says, "We're here."

This night is definitely going to be a recipe for a disaster. You know it.