chapter twenty three

It was the first day of Christmas break, and Draco was looking happy for the first time in quite a while. Happier than usual at least. He was sitting beside Roman and Blaise at the Slytherin table and he had smiled at something Blaise said, he almost never smiled anymore. She saw this from her own table and after breakfast ran to her dorm and began getting to work. It didn't take too long to make, but she wanted it to be perfect.

Just before lunch she went to find him, assuming he was in the library, so it was there she checked first, and there he was reading a book alone. She approached him and quietly sat down across from him.

The moment she sat down he looked up from his book and gave her a slight smile, closing his book and marking the page, giving her his full attention. She smiled back and pulled out the bracelet from her pocket and handing it to Draco, a slight blush on her face.

He looked down at the colorful bracelet, amusement flashing in his eyes as he took in the different shades of sudden colour that appeared before him.

"I know it's silly, and you probably wont wear it, but here you go." she smiled, slightly embarrassed. 

Draco actually smiled up at her, a real smile. She felt her heart warm for him, happy too see him happy again even if only for a second.

"It's wonderful, love. Thank you for making it for me, I appreciate it." he said, picking up her hand with his free hand and kissing it.

"Will you help me put it on?" he asked after letting go of her hand. She nodded and helped him tie it to his left wrist. She smiled at how strange it looked. Seeing a colourfull friendship bracelet on Draco Malfoy's wrist wasn't something one saw everyday.

_______________

During the first week of Christamas, a DA meeting was called. She went with Daisy, who was surprisingly willing to go with her. Draco had refused, saying he didn't want to know anything the Dark Lord shouldn't know, so he stayed behind. Roman did as well, saying he wouldn't be welcome there. She understood to a certain degree, him being a Slytherin, but she was slightly disappointed. Pierre was there as well. He had attended with one of his other Gryffindor friends, and they acknowledged each other at their arrival.

 Neville Longbottom had taken charge it seemed and Tara couldn't help but be happy for him, he was great at it.

"The Carrows have to be dealt with. Only last week I got detention and was told to torture first year muggleborns, I refused and was punished instead. We have to accept that this is what will happen when you get detention, but our mission is to help those innocent children from torture, and if you have to take it for them, then do it." Neville said, addressing the crowd in the Room of Requirement after he had told everyone who didn't know about how the Carrows were in charge of detention from now on. 

"There is not much else we can do apart from helping where we see an opportunity. Harry Potter is out there, on a mission to stop You-know-who. We have to have faith that he can do it, and in the mean while, do what we can here." 

During the next couple of months after Christmas break there was a lot happening, both inside and outside the castle. The news from the rest of the country was horrid, and people were terrified for their families. Tara and Roman were among them. Their parents insisted on fighting back and had no intention of idly watching what was going on. Tara tried to do the same.

Draco on the other hand was very quiet. He didn't talk much anymore, didn't ask her about what she was doing or what happened. She knew he was scared Voldemort could find out things from looking through his mind, and she understood his fear, so she didn't tell him anything about the meetings, nor about Harry Potter or the Carrows.