A Prison For Protection

Comments and votes SO much appreciated :)

Padme plodded along behind the two stormtroopers with the twins clutched in both hands, lost in her ruminations.  She could barely pay attention to the tour of Vader's quarters - only mumbling in approval when the men looked pointedly at her - her mind grasping desperately at possible plans for escape.  So far as she had seen, the whole suite had only a keypad to get in but not out . . .

"Excuse me," she interrupted.  

The troopers stopped in their tracks, turning in surprise at her direct address of them.  

"What's the security like here?"  Padme searched for the best words to hide her true purpose.  "I mean, will we be safe?  Or can anyone just walk in?"

One chuckled, shifting his blaster to his other arm.  "Oh, no, Senator.  Lord Vader's chambers are off limits to all crew, except those he personally gives his permission to.  None but him know the code, so you will have total privacy.  Even the entrance hallway is left empty so as to avoid catching Lord Vader at an, ahem, inopportune time."

The other snickered.  "You mean when he's on a murderous Dark Side rampage, Cody."

Cody shushed him.  "As for safety, well, you're not safer anywhere than with Lord Vader, ma'am."  His tone was earnest.  "I can promise you that."

"You'll be very much protected," the other assured, serious now.

Padme almost choked.  Safe.  "Thank you," she nodded, "Mr.-?"

"Commander Cody," he said professionally.  "You're more than welcome.  Now, is there anything else you require, or need clarification on?"

"Um, well . . . "  She spoke as nonchalantly as possible.  "Do you know when exactly Lord Vader will be back?"

"Oh," he apologized, "I'm sorry, I believe not for a few hours at least; in the meantime, Triple-Zero will-"

"Triple-Zero?" she asked, confused.

"Hello, I am 0-0-0, or Triple-Zero, if you please."

Padme jumped at hearing the mechanical voice right by her ear, turning around to face the voice that had spoken.  It was a protocol droid that looked much like C3PO, except for a very key difference: glowing red eyes set in a dark metal quite unlike the golden she was used to.  Luke backed behind her at the sight, Leia narrowing her eyes.

The droid continued in its cold monotone.  "I am Lord Vader's personal droid on the Executor, specializing in etiquette, customs, translation and torture."

She paled, drawing the twins closer towards her.  "Torture?"  

"It shouldn't be a problem, ma'am," Kix said amused.  "After all, you are something to Lord Vader, correct?"

Padme stiffened.  "I don't think so."

"I wouldn't bet on that.  It might seem to you that way, but I've worked closely with Lord Vader for years," he replied, clearly unfazed by her statement.  "He most certainly doesn't treat you like he's treated anyone else these past few years."  Looking down at his watch, he nodded at Cody, turning back to Padme to give her a respectful nod.  "Well, we better get going.  Triple-Zero should tend to anything you need."  

"N-Nice to meet you."  She gave them a muddled smile, slightly flustered - and more affected than she was willing to admit - by Kix's assertion.  Trying to recollect her thoughts and set her mind back on her plan, Padme directed her attention back to the droid before her.  "Excuse me, would you be able to get the three of us something to eat?  I'm afraid we haven't been able to in several hours."