Darkness Falls

Comments and votes SO much appreciated :)

The room was silent, except for the beeps and whistles of the medical droids as they hurried back and forward, working as fast as they could to save the still figure on the medical bed. The metal was cold and hard beneath Anakin. Except for the blinding bright light above him, the room was very dark.

Anakin did not move; did not make a sound. Every breath was painful, his body aching and stinging all over.  All he could do was close his eyes, struggle to ignore the searing pain in his head and chest . . . and think of Padme. What had happened to her? Was she all right? Was she hurt? Had Obi-Wan gotten her safely off Mustafar? Where was she now?

He yearned desperately for her.

I truly, deeply love you. Before we die I want you to know.

Did she love him now?  

"Lord Vader . . . can you hear me?"

Palpatine emerged from the shadows, his eyes glowing yellow in the dim light.  Anakin winced. 

"Yes, Master."

He would not spend the rest of his Force forsaken life with this monster - he'd rid himself of him . . . go find Padme . . . Padme . . .

The words were hurried, rushed in their desperation.  "Where is Padme? Is she safe? Is she all right?"

"It seems in your anger . . . you killed her."

Anakin's vision blurred red.  Excruciating pain ripped through his chest, ripping from the inside out . . . ripping him, as his heart seemed to shudder and then stop . . .  Yet it did not stop there, searing through his body, shredding every part that was untouched by the agony . . .

He lunged forward, gripping his sides as if he could hold himself together, keep himself from the tearing . . .  Everything was breaking, shattering, bits of metal and glass digging itself into his tender skin, but he didn't care, he didn't care, nothing could hurt more than this . . .

"NO!"

His voice was ragged, strained, so weak - but he found he didn't care either.  He just wanted an end to the pain, a release, the ability to not feel . . . but it was all around him, the air exploding with the force of his pain and suffering.  The light reached for him but he shoved it away . . . it hurt . . . it was Padme's smile . . . the reminder of what he had done . . . he had killed her . . .

He fell to the cold ground.  So this was truly the dark side.  The darkness invited him in, offering security and strength and relief from the pain and he took it, he took it, grasping at it eagerly like a dying man reaching for medicine, the only balm capable of soothing his heart . . .

Anakin Skywalker did not resurface.

*     *     *     *    *     *     *     *     *     *     *

3 years later

"I have sensed the presence of escaped Jedi on Tatooine - it seems to have invoked a foolish courage in the people there, stirring up rebellion and resistance against the stationed troops . . .  We cannot have that.  Go, Lord Vader, put down the rebels and bring peace to the Empire."

An almost flinch at the name of the planet, mind barriers groaning in protest as memories and names and voices began to surface, struggling to be remembered- but then they was gone, the darkness sweeping over him and gaining dominance.  "Yes, Master."  

A pleased smile flickered across Sidious's grotesque features before the monitor flickered off, bathing the room once more in darkness.  Darth Vader rose to his feet, yellow eyes glowing in anticipation of the slaughter to come.  He stalked to the door of the communication center, the door banging open before him and officials scattering in the darkness of his presence.  The Dark Side swirling comfortingly around him, cool and familiar, urging him to take down the evildoers, the traitors, quickly, bring peace once more . . .