Something in The Woods ~ Hanan

I woke up early; first, in fact. I sat up and leaned on my elbows, rubbing the blur from my eyes.

The five youth with me were all sleeping soundly and heavily. Even Lilly, who was usually a light sleeper, seemed to be snoring. I looked at each of them, wondering how we ended up together; who had planned it?

Marshall's small, shivering form was pale. I thought that maybe it was just the dim morning light, but it was so unnatural.

Cam, in contrast, was huge, and heavily tanned. He seemed to have moved a lot during the night, and was lying extremely close to Marshall...I'd have to keep an eye on him, make sure he didn't crush the poor guy.

I couldn't help but frown when I came to Louis. He started tossing and turning in his sleep, and one glimpse of his face told me that he was having a horrible nightmare. I sat up a little more, even got up from the bedroll to wake him up from the dream, but he became all at once peaceful, so I let him sleep. I have an automatic setting for Louis: the need to make him feel better.

Then there was Meghan. I struggled with myself, sometimes looking at her, sometimes looking away. I didn't want to seem creepy; she was just so beautiful...

Yeah, I was definitely being creepy.

Finally, I laid my eyes on -

"Lilly?" I whispered frantically. She was staring straight at me, and honestly, I was terrified that her 'heavy sleeping' was a permanent state.

"Yes?" she whispered back, sitting up a little. I let out a sigh of relief.

"I didn't realize you were awake. You scared me."

"I was not awake when you first began your analyzing. But I woke whilst your attention was on Cameron. It was not my intention to scare you."

"You weren't on your guard while you were sleeping, like you usually are. Did you not sleep well?"

"I rose early this morning and did some exploring. When I came back, I had awoken Meghan. We spent time talking to one another, and I believe my body needed the rest. I am not accustomed to lack of sleep."

"It's Meghan okay?"

"Indeed."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, Cousin. I am perfectly well."

I looked at her, frowning and shaking my head. One day she would crack, but that day wasn't today. So I just stood up and walked over to give her my hand, but she had already followed my example.

"Let us wake the others. We must move to find food," she said, looking up at me.

I nodded, and refrained from giving her hand a squeeze. She doesn't enjoy physical touch, like I said earlier.

I woke Louis and Meghan, and she woke Cam and Marshall. The boys were both startled when they woke up with Lilly so close to them. But it motivated them to get up.

"Louis," she said once everyone was up, "we need to get moving. Do you see the path?"

"Of course I do," he growled.

She watched Marshall curiously as he made a quiet remark to Louis about his gruffness towards his sister. Louis became defensive, and as Marshall began trying to apologize, Cam backed him up. He laid his hand on Marshall's shoulder and confronted Louis.

The three boys started arguing, Marshall often doing his speaking from behind the protection of Cam. I tried getting them to stop, but Louis accused me of 'being on their side,' and so I joined the argument trying to explain that I was on neither side.