Who's That Lady? ~ Hanan

"You remember what to say if you're asked why four handsome gentlemen are following you, right, Lilly?" I whispered, raising my eyebrow in jest.

"Of course, Hanan," she whispered back. "I do not understand why you are patronizing me. I am to tell them I found the four of you wandering just outside the reach of the spell, and am bringing you to the governor."

"It was a joke. You're supposed to laugh. But good! I applaud your memory."

"I do not laugh, you know that, and it was a simple instruction. Understand that I am no longer a child in need of a parent. Louis is, perhaps, but not I."

We were just outside the borders of Augusta, Maine. Marshall had been such a help when it came to 'becoming a slave.' He was able to instruct us on how to look and act, or rather, how not to react, and how to dress.

We looked disgusting, like we'd rolled around with pigs in their sty, but it passed. Lilly, upon being approached and questioned by some women of the town, answered precisely as we had rehearsed. Her tone matched theirs - flat. They were exactly like she was, which came as a bit of a shock. They took one look at us, and pointed to a large house on a hill. It turned out that it was precisely the house we were looking for.

Lilly's knock was answered promptly, and we were ushered inside. The Servant left through a set of double doors, leaving us standing there awkwardly. We heard a set of footsteps pounding down the stairs, and out of the corner of my eye, a figure clad in black ran past us. Quickly it was back, though, and stood in front of our group.

She looked at us curiously, but I'm sure we were looking at her just as curiously. The top half of her hair was blonde, a natural, vibrant blonde, but that was pulled back and braided. The bottom half of her hair was left down, and it was dyed black. Her black combat boots gave her a two-inch lift, and even then she was probably less than five-foot-six. She had black jean shorts on that were frilled at the end, and a shirt that said 'Keep Calm and Annoy Mom' covered with a leather vest.

I found myself staring, and I knew my cover was blown. I tried looking straight ahead again, but I kept being drawn back to her. I wasn't even paying attention to Lilly's inquiries.

"So," the girl said, walking over to me and tracing her finger along my shoulders and back, "you're giving the boys over to my mom, because you just found them?"

"Yes," Lilly replied.

"Well, I'm pretty sure my mom will buy it, but only if I'm not in the room with this one." She smiled at me, and winked, then looked back at Lilly. "Now, I'll ask for the truth."

Lilly told her the whole story, only pausing to let the girl send the Servant away. I learned that her name was Meghan, and that she didn't care where we went on our quest, as long as we took her away. Secretly, I felt like a knight in shining armor, saving the damsel in distress, but in reality I was just a boy, coming between a mother and daughter.

We sat outside the house while she argued with her mother inside. There was yelling that was clear even from our distance, and glass that shattered directly after that yelling. After that, it was quiet. I was elected to check on her, and was only too excited to do so.

I walked inside, where she was talking to a Servant who seemed to be unaware of her presence, like all the others. She was saying goodbye, and I really hated to interrupt, so I waited. After giving the Servant a hug, to which he did not respond, she turned around and jumped when she saw me.

"Oh! You-you startled me. Did you...hear any of that?" She walked up to me, holding her backpack in her hand. She had changed into something more suitable for traveling, but she kept the shirt she had on previously.