0.4

ARIA

I look between both Archer and Phoenix and they're staring at me expectantly. I begin to say something but Phoenix cuts me off.

"Who is this?", Phoenix says angrily. I turn to look at him and he's glaring daggers at Archer and I have no clue why, I mean it's not like we're dating.

"This is Archer, my bestfriend.", I say slowly. I begin to inch away from Phoenix but he wraps his arm around my waist, keeping me next to him. His tight grip sends shivers down my spine and I try to wriggle out of his grip. It's useless because I'm a twig compared to Phoenix, so I stop trying.

"Well then, come in, no need to be rude.", Phoenix says to Archer as his grip on me tightens. We all head to the living room and Phoenix heads to the sofa, dragging me with him. He pulls me down next to him and Archer sits on the chair oppostie Phoenix and I. We sit in silence for a few minutes until I break the silence.

"Why are you here?", I say to Archer with a slight hint of anger. He looks to me and then to Phoenix's arm that's still around my waist.

"Well, uh, I- I came here to talk to you Aria, alone.", He looks at me and then gets up and heads outside to the back deck.

"Phoenix, please let go of me. I need to speak to Archer, alone.", I say and he releases his grip on me very hesitantly. I head out to the back deck to find Archer sitting on the steps with his head in his hands. I slowly sit down next to him and look over at him. He looks up at me and gives me a small smile.

"Aria, please don't hate me for what I'm about to say. I promise, no, I swear that what I'm about to tell you is completely true.", he says to me while looking me in the eye the entire time. He waits for a few moments before he continues.

"Aria, I think, I mean, I know I love you. There, I said it, I love you and I always have.", he says in a rush.

" Archer, I'm sorry, but you need to leave, right now.", I say so low that I begin to think he didn't here me until he speaks.

"What? Why? But I just confessed to you that I love you! Why would you kick me out without saying anything about what I just told you?", he exclaims.

"That's exactly why I want you to leave. You can't just come over to my house and declare your love for me. That's too much for me to handle right now. Everything is happening way too fast and I don't think I can take it anymore. I mean, first Phoenix, now you. I just need some time to figure everything out. Please just go.", I say quickly. He just looks at me for a moment and then sighs and gets up to leave. When he reaches the door, he turns to me and looks right into my eyes. He looks so upset and to know that I've caused it makes me feel horrible. Then he turns around and walks into the house. I sit where I am for a moment thinking about Phoenix and Archer. I feel something amazing and unexplainable when I'm around Phoenix, but I feel safe and protected when I'm around Archer. I don't know which of those feelings is better but I'll figure it out soon enough. My thoughts are interupted by shouting coming from inside the house. I rush into the house to find Archer yelling at Phoenix.

"What the hell do you think you're going to get out of this? What you're trying to do is sick! I can't believe you'd do something so low! If she gets hurt because of your stupid ideas, you'll pay for it! I don't care what happens to you, all I care about is her!", Archer screams at Phoenix with such venom-filled words, I can't believe that Archer is the one saying them. Phoenix just stands there with a smug grin on his face until he sees me. His expression turns to panic, and then Archer looks at me with worry and hurt in his eyes. He gives Phoenix one last look before he walks out of the house. Phoenix turns to me to speak, but I cut him off.

"Get out. Just get out of my house.", I say angrily. He starts to say something but decides to leave it. He walks straight out the door without turning back to look at me.

I stand there for a minute taking everything in. I'm shocked by the events that have unfolded today, so I decide that I need to just relax for the rest of the day. I head up to my room to think and get some rest.

••••••••••••••••••••

ARCHER

I messed up. Aria is going to hate me. But if she ever finds out about what Phoenix did and what he's planning, she'll be heartbroken. I can't believe that he thinks he can get away with doing this to her. I feel this overwhelming need to protect her from him but if I do, she'll blame everything on me when she finds out. I shouldn't have told her, I thought she would scream at me or tell me she feels the same but she was silent. Being silent is worse than anything else because I don't know what she's thinking. I can't take this anymore, I need to know how she feels. It doesn't matter how I have to do it, I have to know.

•••••••••••••••••

ARIA

I keep thinking about the way Archer told me he loves me. He said it without hesitation, as if he knew all along. I mean, he can't be serious, right? We grew up together, we've been best friends for years, he can't love me. He's my best friend, he can't possibly want anything more than that. I love him too, I just don't know if it's in that way. He's been there for me through everything, he helped me when I lost Toby and my dad and nothing was more important to me than Toby. If I keep thinking about them, I'm going to lose it. Phoenix's face pops into my mind and I instantly smile. I don't know why I react like this to him but I can't deny it. I think I might like Phoenix. But before I tell him, I need to know what Archer thinks Phoenix has done that could possibly hurt me.