Chapter 8

I opened the rusty door of the diner already in my uniform at 5:50 A.M, when at the bar sat Earl and Susan glaring at me, like they were fortune tellers who could read my mind.

   I stopped paralyzed in fear, as my heart thumped in my throat.

   "Hello dear. Won't you come over and sit with us. Earl and I have something to discuss with you." Susan motioned demonically to the worn, red swivel seat.

   Oh, no. I've been caught. What possibly am I going to say? Hey, I thought you were crazy so I called the cops on you. Turns out I'm the insane one, ha ha.

   "Umm...yeah...sure what is it?"

I awkwardly sat down at the scuffed up bar trying not to show any trepidation.

   Earl took over the conversation confidently, "Last night Valerie, a little bit after your shift ended, two cops paid us a visit, questioning us if we were up to any illegal activities. Do you know who could have possibly called them?"

I contemplated for a few seconds, deciding whether or not telling the truth or if a lie was going to hurt me more. I really didn't want to lose the one job I've been waiting for all my life, so I decided to tell them a semi truth. I mean, what could go wrong?

"Umm...it was me. I called the police." I answered hesitantly while examining my sweaty palms.

"What? Why would you do such a thing?" Earl and Susan shouted appalled and bewildered.

I instantly turned pale as a ghost from pure shame and embarrassment, but I quickly changed my mind set, because I could never tell them the whole truth anyways.

"I...uhh...just found some...suspicious items that a customer left and wanted to make sure they weren't anything illegal." I lied, hoping they would buy it.

I stared at their tomato, red faces waiting for a reply, when Susan spoke up and said, "Oh, I see. Well I'm pleased you're just taking precautions." She giggled. "You nearly frightened Earl and I to death. We hardly ever get visits by the cops, but don't worry dear, we took care of them."

They both exchanged a sinister look with one another before they turned their attention back to me.

"I'm so sorry, I should have told you before I left, but I thought I was showing you I could be responsible." I uttered, digging myself deeper into my lie.

Earl patted me on the shoulder, "We forgive you Valerie, just don't EVER call the police again without our permission. Now get to work. You have a long day ahead of you."

"Yes sir." I sarcastically laughed while getting up from my seat and began setting the tables.

Part of me was relieved they believed my dumb lie, but the other half of me was startled by the devilish change in manner they both gave me.

Although the cops didn't find anything unusual, I knew they were still hiding something, and the worst part of all was that they knew I knew something was up too.