Chapter 6

It was 8:59 P.M., one minute until the diner closed.

   I tirelessly finished mopping the last few checkered squares on the floor, when I rapidly rushed back to the office to grab my clothes and my purse, because even though I still wasn't 100% convinced by Mr. Brooks accusation, I however thought that it was still best to leave just in case he was right.

   As I hustled back to the secluded office, scrambling to find my phone, I saw a plump shadow slithering against the hallway, cackling under their breath.

  "Leaving so soon dear? I was just about to talk to you, but you rushed back here so quickly, you didn't give me a chance." Susan berated me like I was her daughter.

  "Actually I...uh...have plans with my best friend." I lied through my teeth.

   I just wish she would leave so I could make this already difficult call to the police, but no, she just wanted to keep chatting with me like all old people love to do.

  Susan leaned against the vintage floral wallpaper with her arms crossed over her chest, "Oh, that's too bad. I was hoping you could have stuck around. You've been working so hard, and Earl and I thought we would treat you to a delicious home cooked dinner. I guess maybe another time."

  I swallowed nervously.

"Again, I'm so sorry, if only I didn't have any plans, I would've really appreciated that." I apologized while trying to gather the remainder of my items.

  "Now, if you don't mind, I must be leaving."

  I jumped up and darted out the door without giving her one last glance.

"Umm...alright dear. I guess we'll see you tomorrow then?" Susan spoke confused by my urgent manner.

"Yeah, sure. Bye!" I echoed down the hall as I jogged out of the diner into the dark and lonesome night.

  Under the only street lamp in the parking lot, I fumbled the numbers, 9-1-1 into my cell phone.

"Hello. What is your emergency?" A calm, middle aged woman asked me on the phone.

"Umm...hi...yes...I'm calling to request an investigation at a diner on Interstate 40, called Earl's Fresh Eats. I know this might sound silly, but I think the couple that owns the place, might be up to some suspicious activity." I anxiously explained while attempting to catch my breath.

"Okay. What's your name and what evidence do you have to support your accusation?"

"My name is Valerie Conrad and I just started working here recently. As for my evidence, one of the owners named Earl, was cutting up meat with a machete that looked oddly similar to human flesh. I didn't ask him or accuse him of anything because I was too afraid. Please, you have to believe me! Someone needs to check this out immediately!" I exclaimed frightened.

"Okay honey, take a deep breath. I'll try to get someone to come out as soon as possible, but I think you're just being paranoid."

"I'm most definitely not, but thanks anyway." I hung up frustrated, as I waited agitated on the hood of my car for any sign of help to come.

Always Eat Your MeatOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara