Chapter 7

About thirty minutes later, two local cop cars pulled into the vacant parking lot and I immediately raced over to them breathing heavily along the way.

   "Hello...officers...I'm so glad...you're here." I gasped light headed.

   One of the buff officers approached me and calmly asked, "Are you alright ma'am?"

   I breathed in a long suspiration.

   "Yes, I'm just not used to running a lot, that's all."

  "Alright, just take it easy."

   I nodded as I regained my strength.

  "Anyways, a few minutes ago, we got a call claiming there was some suspicious activity going on."

   "Yes, I called because I definitely believe there is something unusual happening." I answered as we leisurely made our way toward the blood-curdling diner.

   "Well, since we don't have any clear, physical evidence, or a warrant, we can't do much ma'am, but we'll try our best. In the meantime, I believe it's best for you to leave the premises and let us handle the situation." The muscular cop gestured to himself and his silent partner.

   Not only was I grateful I didn't have to stay, I was also extremely dog-tired.

   "Okay. Thank you so much." I replied relieved.

   Once our conversation concluded, I began to trudge away from the scene, when the officer suddenly stopped me unexpectedly.

  I pivoted back towards the shadowy figure sluggishly.

   "Ma'am, if you don't mind, it would be most beneficial if I could have your name and phone number in case we need to contact you."

   "Oh, yes of course. My name is Valerie Conrad and my number is 702-765-822."

  He scribbled the information into his beat up pocketbook.

   "Thank you Ms. Conrad." He closed the book and put it back into his shirt pocket.

   "Goodnight and drive safely."

   "Thank you so much and good luck to you." I graciously thanked him as we departed.

   A few minutes later, I slumped into my car, and observed the confident officers enter the uncanny lit diner, hoping they would find something, but also at the same time I hoped they didn't.

  The last thing I want is to be embarrassed tomorrow when I return to work, and they find out that I called the cops on them.

   "Just stop thinking about it. Everything will be okay." I attempted to calm myself as I started the engine and drove back out into the wicked night.