Lies

Chapter 5

June 3, 1961

It's midday. I can't process it all. How can any of this be real? This doesn't make any sense. I was always told mythical creatures didn't exist, but now, I don't know what's real anymore. How could they lie to me? This is not a secret you should keep from somebody.

I knew I felt different yesterday, but I thought it was just growing pains or something. I never expected this.

I never expected to be a--

"Haley! Crap! Haley, wake up!" My brother yelled in a panic from down the hall. "Haley, we overslept!" I looked over at the clock.

"Oh snap!" I got so carried away reading that I didn't get ready for school when I should've. I woke up early today so that I could read a passage or two of my grandma's journal. I guess I should've read after I had gotten ready for school.

I jumped out of bed and hurried to get dressed. I threw some pink sweat pants on and a black, lace tank top with a built in camisole. I threw my hair up into a messy bun and demolished the idea of wearing makeup. I pulled on my black fabric, fur boots and grabbed my book bag. I ran downstairs looking like a hot mess. Today was defiantly not the day to impress anyone. It was a lazy, rushed day.

I got into my brothers truck and he pulled out of the driveway. My mom was working the early shift that morning. I sat in Chris' truck in silence. It would've been a perfect opportunity to read but I left the journal in my room.

I really wished that I could've finished reading the entry that morning. I wanted to know what my grandma was. I had a hunch, but I wanted to read it to be reassured. I needed to know in case it happened to me.

"What are you thinking about?" Chris asked looking over at me.

"Nothing." I replied looking out my window. I wasn't going to tell him what I was thinking. He was lying to me, better said, deceiving me.

"You seem to be lost in thought." He stated.

"Nah." I shrugged. I was only thinking about reading my grandma's journal and finding out that she most likely had a werewolf mate like me. Okay, maybe I was lost in thought...but he didn't need to know.

"Okay." He said quietly.

I leaned down to the floorboard and grabbed my book bag. I pulled out my necklace and threw the bag back in the floorboard.

He'd want me to wear it. Chris looked over at me and watched my movements. I unclasped the chain, wrapped it around my neck, and clasped it shut, letting the weight of the pendent pull the chain down on the back of my neck.

If Andrew really was my mate and all this werewolf nonsense was true, then my whole family had been lying to me. In a sense, I felt hurt. I really hated being deceived.

The ride to school was a peaceful silence. I felt a sort of gratitude for Andrew telling me the truth. If he hadn't, I wouldn't have ever known. Well, at least until I was sixteen.

Chris pulled up to the school and I attempted to get out of his truck, but was stopped when Chris grabbed my arm.

"Where'd you get that necklace from again?" He asked pointing towards my neck.

"A friend." I replied.

"Does this friend have a name?" He asked annoyed.

"That's none of your business. I have to go. I don't want to be late for class." I said shrugging him off and walking away.