LX: Eight Million Dollar Car

❝Love is the only passion which suffers neither past nor future.❞
Honoré de Balzac

John and I were eating ice cream for breakfast (health legends, I know) and watching a movie in the living room when John got a call. 

John pulls his phone from his pocket, looks at the incoming call, then lets it ring dry. I didn't think about it at first — I'm far more invested in the movie.

"I swear to God, if she doesn't marry him right now, I'm going to flip," I say, my eyes glued to the screen as the main character dances at a party with the love interest.

"They're barely linkin' up," John says. "They can't get married right away."

"But they were childhood friends," I whine. "They have to! They both clearly love the other."

"They might have grown into different people," John reasons. "Maybe they need to-" John is abruptly interrupted by another phone call.

Now I'm interested. "Whose that?"

John sighs. "My friend. I don't know what he wants."

I look away. "You probably should answer him."

Without hesitation, John stands to his feet, leaves his ice cream on the coffee table, takes the call, then moves into the other room.

Huh.

July 19, 2059.

The past couple of days have been pretty great. We took risks and ventured out a bit, going to the city of Charleston (as opposed to staying in the suburbs) and enjoying what is offered; I especially had fun venturing into the art museum John was so fond of as a child, and he was really enthusiastic while showing me around.

It was a risky move, considering that I don't want the public to know of my whereabouts nor the company I'm in. But by some miracle, none of that has been discovered and leaked just yet. I'm content with the secrecy.

A secret little love between us.

I can hear John talking from the other room, although I can't make out any of his words. I'm not too concerned, however, for John often has calls with his friends. To my knowledge, he has a close group of friends he made during his brief time in college. I like his attachment to them.

I continue to watch the movie, only getting distracted when I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I internally pray that it isn't Nikolai — admittedly, I'm getting a little nervous since Nikolai hasn't contacted me for quite some time.

I've come to two conclusions. One: Nikolai is a very busy man and he has other things to do other than talk to me and deal with my sass and bullshit. Two: Nikolai is hyper-aware of everything I'm doing and he's just biding his time, wading in the water for the perfect moment.

I take out my phone and breathe out in relief to see it's just a text from "BB". That's my contact name from Charles — I changed it because, frankly, I don't want John to know I'm talking to Charles. He'll get the wrong idea.

I read Charles's text.

"Which one do you like better?"

There's a picture attached, and the picture shows two keychains with a set of charms on both of them. One of the key chains has charms consisting of a red telephone booth, a double-decker bus, a clock tower of sorts (a landmark, no doubt), and an umbrella. The second keychain has charms of a British flag, a crown, a teacup, and a teapot.

I scoff as I respond.

"Those are very British."

I glance back at the movie, only for a moment, before Charles responds again.