XIX: Fifty Thousand Stars

❝I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.❞
-Sarah Williams

Where the fuck are they? Have they run into trouble? Have they decided that helping us is not worth putting themselves in danger? I don't understand.

The sun is beginning to make its slow ascent into the sky, painting the world dimly with dull colors of grey and yellow. There's that same scent in the air, and it fills my lungs with every breath I take. Snow. There will be snow today. It will be a light, but lengthy fall, perhaps lasting for a majority of the day.

It has been several hours since we found ourselves trapped in this abandoned, completely-empty house. Nothing much has changed. We're still waiting in the cold, anxiously hoping the Russians don't attack us

If there is one good thing about today, it's that I have returned to a healthy body temperature, and I'm able to maintain it.

Alexander and John were happier than I was.

October 7, 2058.

I keep a blanket wrapped around me as I constantly go back up and down the stairs. It's my way of passing time. Alexander sits in the center of the staircase, watching me as I go.

"Are we going to do this all day?" Alexander asks, sounding bored already.

"We'll do it until something changes."

Under the watchful eye of the medics, all the injured soldiers have yet to die. But I don't know how much longer they can go without more technologically advanced medical supplies. Bandages, antibacterial, and morphine can't keep them alive forever.

Eventually, my attention was caught by John and Rory. They were kneeling by a window facing the forest where the Russians are no doubt still waiting. I nodded Alexander over to follow, then we approached behind them. We listen to their conversation before making our presence known.

"Do you think you can get them from here?" John whispers.

I'm surprised to see Rory holding his RYG rocket launcher. He's looking through the scope, his aim no doubt trained on the treeline.

"I can't see them," Rory says. "Are they even still there?"

"No doubt 'bout it, Miller. They ain't leavin' until we're dead," John says darkly, a shadow casting over his eyes. John pulls out a scope from his bag, removes the one on the RYG, and replaces it with the larger scope.

"Okay, I see them," Rory says, adjusting his aim slightly.

"Can you get 'em?"

"I can," Rory nods.

"But should you?" Alexander bumps in. Of course. Leave it to Alexander to question their plan. Upon hearing his voice, Rory and John turn to look at us. They are initially surprised by our sudden appearance, but then Rory addresses Alexander's comment.

"The hell you mean, Russki?" Rory raises a brow.

"I mean that you shouldn't do it," Alexander says. "The RYG is powerful, but it still won't kill all of the Russians, especially if they are spread out. Making a clear attack on them will only piss them off; we've been lucky that they haven't dropped a bomb on this house yet."

"Fair point," John huffs, his enlightened tone suggesting that he hadn't considered this outcome. No doubt he's starting to get desperate and take irrational leaps. He's losing hope, just like everyone else, that help is coming.

With that plan struck down, we back go waiting idly for any change.

It's scarily silent. The only sound comes from the occasional click of Molly Pitcher's camera. Why is she taking pictures? I do not know.