"Help"

"Help!"

I tried to gasp for air before I was pulled back under.

Pushing and kicking I tried grabbing on to anything but I was surrounded by water.

I am Ella. It's not short for Elizabeth or Eleanor. It's just Ella nothing more nothing less.

Since I was little my father always told me, "Life is not a fairy tale, Only one wrong move and you will regret it till death," he'd say in a voice that would bring back so many different emotions in me.   

That was also the last thing he told me before he left.

Those heavy words pulled me back down as I was struggling to reach the surface.

My father found no use in love, imagination or fairy tales because he doesn't want me to have high hopes on the impossible. In my home, instead of learning about princesses, I was taught the art of war and deception. 

No one is ever safe.

I move back up for air. My lungs were squeezing. I could taste the bitter chlorine as it filled my airways. I tried to kick faster and harder, thrashing around to find something to hold on to, but I can feel myself getting weaker and weaker with every thrust.

In the back of my mind, in a place I thought died off a long time ago. I could hear my father's voice, counting down to the seconds before I reach my soon to be doom.

"One......... Two........Three......Fou -"

Just as I was about to let go of all my troubles in life, I felt something grab onto me and pull me to the surface. I tried to take a huge breath of air but I couldn't breath. My chest was closing in on me and I was starting to feel dizzy.

As my rescuer lay me on the ground, I felt the water go up my head. Which made everything worse.

There was slight pressure on my chest and it kept getting heavier than lighter. Over and over again. Was this person trying to save me?

"Come on Ellie don't you dare die on me!" The voice was faint and barely there, but I knew that voice from somewhere.

The pushes started getting harder and harder as I struggled to breathe. Suddenly the water rushed up my mouth and nose as I coughed up all the water that was inside of me.

Even though my lungs were burning I took a huge gulp of air.

I looked up to see students gathered around the pool laughing and whispering at my cold shivering body.

If I was drowning, why didn't anybody in the crowd try to save me? I turned away and let my rescuer carry me away from all this embarrassment.

I did not need to look up to see that it was my one and only friend Mason.

He was about 6' 7" with dark skin which was highlighted by his muscularly athletic build. Despite the innocent look of his soft brown eyes there was always this mischievous tint that swirled in the background and a killer smile.

Mason Shield is my best friend who has been with me through it all. He prtects me from life itself. With his constant need to defend me in front of bullies, talk with me through problems and just be there for me when I need it.  He is the greatest person I know. He was daring, adventurous and overall a free spirit that never wants to be tied down.

As I saw where he was taking me I shook my head. I really didn't like the boys locker room. Everyone in there sees me as a punching bag. Well except Mason.

"Don't worry. The guys are out practicing for the big game this Friday. Nobody is in there." He reassured me.

"Shouldn't you be out there too?" My voice was hoarse and faint, and my throat was sore. I felt like I just took ten punched to the neck.