4.

The clock indicated 8:45 am, in 15 minutes he would unlock the door, and turn the sign over so that customers could enter. But before that, he checked again that everything was ready. Are new products highlighted? Are the prices perfectly indicated? Was the store perfectly clean? Everything had to be perfect. Today, tomorrow, and it must also have been the previous days. Markus had trusted him with his flower shop, he should not disappoint him. He must never disappoint anyone again.

After all, he had spent the first 18 years of his life being a disappointment.

First for his mother, who preferred to leave with his little sister, rather than having to raise a son who was not worth it. Then to Bryce, by not being by his side when he died. For his team, which he had to abandon because of his arrest. For his father, when he discovered that his son was a fag. For his sister, when she learned that he was a monster. And finally he was a disappointment for him ...

He didn't want to be a disappointment anymore, never! So he applied himself to never having to read that feeling on someone's face again.

While waiting for the opening, he looked at his reflection in the mirror. His hair was perfectly styled, his T-shirt and pants were perfectly ironed, his sneakers were clean, and his apron perfectly adjusted. Hisr face had no bruises, or dark circles for a long time. He still had trouble recognizing himself sometimes. He also wondered if he deserved happiness after all the horrible things he had done.

To be honest, he was not completely happy. Someone is missing here with him, so that he can truly be happy. Surely that was his real punishment. Karma is a bitch, everybody knows that.

He found him on Facebook. He wanted to reconnect. But Winston deserved better, so he just stared at his photo for hours like a psychopath, while crying and eating pringles. Yes, he was pitiful. And creepy. Creepyful ...

It was time to open the store, he didn't want Markus to come out of the blue, and think he wasn't working

It was time to open the store, he didn't want Markus to come out of the blue, and think he wasn't working. He didn't want him to think he didn't deserve the second chance he had graciously given him, and therefore hire someone else more deserving and competent.

Oh obviously Markus would never do that, he's an 83 year old gentleman with a big heart, totally incapable of judging anyone. But Monty sometimes found it hard to remember. Well, no ... Monty's paranoia and lack of self-esteem did.

When the old man opened his shop, he had had no problem taking care of it on his own. But years passed, and Markus was getting too old. He could no longer lift the boxes of flowers, he found it hard to read the numbers on the account books, and sitting on a stool all day became an ordeal for his poor back.

From what Monty understood, he had known Winston's mother for years, and when she told him that she knew a young man, who was looking for a job, and a place to live, Markus agreed immediately. And Montgomery became a florist, and was able to move into the small studio above the store.

Suddenly, Monty had a job, a salary, a place to live, edible food in his fridge, and he talked to grandmothers every day, what more could he ask for? Markus was so impressed with his work that he told him that if he got the right diploma, he would bequeath the shop to Monty when the time came. So Monty went back to school.

The first weeks were a disaster. Monty had dropped bags of bulbs, he had confused the insecticide canister with water, he had been bitten by a carnivorous plant, he had made a mistake in an order, and had stepped on the tail of the chihuahua of an old lady. Poor "Sir biscuit"... And yet, not once did Markus get angry, he always spoke to him calmly and patiently, never telling him that he was a waste of time. God, his father would certainly have hit him with a shovel if he had been there.

But not Markus, he only encouraged him, he told him that it was normal to make mistakes, that he was making them too, even after all these years. He told him not to give up, that everything was going to be fine, that he was going to do a great job once he learned to trust himself.

Unaccustomed to such kindness, Monty had locked himself in the toilet to cry... But, finally he managed to find his rhythm, and today Monty is as good with a watering can as with an adjustable wrench. Perseverance is the key!

..........................

The day had been calm, like every Wednesday, despite the reduced schedule he had managed to make a good turnover, Markus was going to be delighted.

He was organizing the terracotta flower pots when the bell on the front door rang. Back to the door, he hadn't seen the customer come in. But he knew that: 1, the person who had just entered couldn't read the word "closed", and 2: that he had forgotten to lock the door. He was still holding a flower pot when he turned to speak to the customer.

- Sorry, but we are clos-

* sound of broken flower pot *

- Hello Monty ...