Chapter 3

To the Plain White T's for being one of my favorite bands and for the awesome name :D 

Delilah 

 What a weird kid. I shook my head, kids like that shouldn't exist. On the other hand, i would want to examine him and take into talking to because of the intelligence of him.   

I dont think he liked my name, which for some reason, crushed me. I hated my name. The longness of it, the fact that no one was named it.  

Truth was i never really did hate it. I used to think it was pretty and different. Thats what i used to think anyways. Before my mommy died. Elizabeth Marks.  

I kicked the pebbles on that were coming off of the paved ground of the black top. Thinking about her made me upset. She said my name was beautiful. Delilah. 'hey there Delilah, whats it like in Newyork city? im a thousand miles apart but tonight girl you look so pretty' her crystal voice still rang clear in my voice as she sang the song that tortured me today but was what was all i thought about earlier.  

She was delighted when the band The Plain White T's made the song and sung it long after it was taken off of the radio. Mommy disappeared though. Gone.  

I felt a tear slip down on my cheek.  

'stop it Dee. Your being a baby, that was a while ago.' i scolded myself. 

Still i couldn't help but sniffle and let a few more tears fall. I felt a tap on my pink north face shoulder. "hey, Dee?" I whipped around, prepared for whatever the world was ever going to throw at me. 

"woah!" Will put his hands up in self defense. Just Will. I felt my body sag with relief. He was like my most best friend, stuck at the hip since pre K.  

"hi Will" He knew all about my life, my struggles. Well most of them anyway. 

he looked down at my face his bony hand wrapped around mine. "its okay, Dee." i closed my eyes. I took a breath in and out. "do you want to come over? I've got lemonade" he tugged at a strand of my hair. 

I just smiled and bit my lip and nodded. I wasnt ready to go home yet. Face Melonie, the real evil step mother. Well, not step mother more like girl friend. She set daddy under the trance of what he calls love.  

Her white teeth, her tan skin, her tight clothing, all of the jewelry, the way she roles her eyes at me. All of it was evil. And daddy says he wants to stay with her. She sleeps in Mommys spot. She sits in her chair in the morning.  

She doesnt like me. 

I can tell. One time i told Daddy and he hit me. That was the first time, ever. After he did he ran out of the house and then didnt come back until the next morning. I remember the one thing Melonie had said to me that night. 

"its all your fault" she had sneered. I remember feeling my insides double over and squeeze shut. I had felt it before, Sadness. thats what it was. Disappointment. Devastation. Broken. 

"Dee? We're here" Wills hand was wet from my sweat and i noticed that i was gripping it extremely hard. I dropped it and blushed. We had reached Wills apartment. We walked up the marble steps that were turning green from decay and walked into the front doors. 

A cold blast of air conditioning blasted our faces momentarily blowing our hair away from our faces. I breathed in the smell of floor wax and furniture. Wills apartment. I smiled. "ready?" he tugged my curls and they bounced.  

I hated those curls. They made me look like a toy. A baby doll.  

But when Will pulled on them they seemed to spring to life and become individual people alive on my head. So i was addicted to the light tug that reached my scalp that sent tingling stars shoot down my head and then shooting out at full force down my tumbles of hair.