9

25 April 2020

Hey Jade,

Today is another day where my mum's trying to contact me. What could be so damn important that for two months now you've been trying to contact your son. Trying to contact your son even after what you put him through. The pain, misery and abuse they gave him. You were always there for me though, you always comforted me when I woke up in cold sweats in the middle of the night. I had nightmares that were just my parents abusing me. Kicking me in the gut or slapping me in the face. Whatever it was you were there. Now when it happens I have to tell myself everything's okay and try to shut my eyes, and go back to sleep. It never worked. I just wish I could hug you and know that everything would be okay.

Love Will xxx ♡︎

The same routine of writing a letter just to put it back in a drawer happened yet again. And for Will, it didn't hurt any less. It was like every time he did it, another piece of his heart crumbled down to dust, and then faded away after each breath he took.

Then, Will heard the familiar sound of his phone ringing. He read the caller ID

Mum

Once again Will's mum was trying to contact him. For the fifth time this week, and it was only Tuesday.

Did he dare. Did he dare pick it up and hear his mum shout down his ear how he was a disgrace and a failure. He tried to tell himself no, but his gut told him to. And, for some stupid reason, he went with his gut.

Mum- Hello Will, how have you been.

Will- Do you mean this week? or the whole three years since you last spoke to me?

Mum- Look William, I'm sorry about how I treated you and so is your father. It was wrong in so many ways.

Will- Is that all you have to say.

Mum- No I need to tell you something, it's something you'll need to sit down for.

Will- Okay, I'm sat down, what is it?

Mum- I haven't been feeling to good recently, so I went to see the doctor. They later sent me to hospital to run a few scans. Will, I've been diagnosed with cancer.

Will dropped his phone and he heard it smash on the ground. He was speechless. All this time, his mother had been trying to get through to him and he had ignored it. Only to find out that his greatest fear had come back to haunt him.

It's that same six-letter word that took Jade away from him. The love of his life. That was the scariest thing. He would have to sit there and listen to that same long, never ending beep that took Jade from him.

He heard a muffled voice on the end of the phone and picked the device back up.

Mum- Will?

Will- Please tell me this is some sick joke.

Mum- It's not, why would I ever tell you this if it wasn't true.

Will- I'm coming to see you in Newcastle later this month. Is it alright if I bring Chewy?

Mum- Who's Chewy?

Will- Oh he's the dog the boys got me for my birthday.

Just then the little shiba inu walked in.

Will- He just walked in actually. Chewy come say hi.

Chewy- Bark

Mum- Awwww I'm sure he's lovely of course you can. I'll see you soon Will. I love you.

Will hadn't heard those words from her in years.

Will- Love you too mum.

A/N Sorry it's been a while I've been super busy. I've got the last bits of the story planed out and there's only a few more chapters. Thanks for reading. <3