Biohazard Part II

"Alright, that's about it. Now go," Gates ordered.

She had taken the time to explain to them their individual roles and sent them off to do their work. In order to get the job done as quickly as possible, they had to split off and do their own individual tasks.

Bear, Davis, and Droz were assigned to speed up the repair of the train cars. Roux, Hayley, and Hags were tasked in climbing a nearby tower and providing reconnaissance and overwatch, they would also be gathering video data by flying a drone around. Walker and Sweetwater were coming with Carlos and another guy to find more survivors to bring to the subway station as well as hopefully scavenge some gear as well. And Gates was going with Valentine to restore power to the station.

"Just another day in the office, nothing new," Walker muttered as he refilled a magazine with fresh rounds. "Get a load of that."

"You can say that again," Carlos said as he checked his own gear. "Where'd you guys come from?"

"From the north. The road split along the way, it's either here or Silent Hill." Walker answered.

"It's a good thing you didn't go to the hill," Carlos said.

"Why?"

"There's some freaky shit going on there," He answered.

"Freakier than this?" Walker asked, pointing to the ground.

"Apparently."

"Goddamn," Walker whispered, shaking his head. "It doesn't matter. You know, they always used to tell me to be ready for anything, and I made sure I was ready for everything. But this? This is just bullshit on a stick."

"Well, you heard it from the Captain, we never even thought this was gonna happen," He said, examining Walker's uniform. "Say, you've got IMC colors on you, why's that?"

"I used to be in the IMC, an officer even. I never bothered to find a change of colors, the black gives me an edge, especially at night. And it confuses the shit out of the grunts I run into." Walker explained as he put down another full mag and grabbed another empty one. "I'm still pretty fresh in the fold, actually. Hell, my old colleagues probably think I'm just on a really long vacation."

"Why change, sides I mean?"Carlos asked again as he attached a couple of grenades onto his vest.

"I kinda crashed on some desolate rock somewhere with a Militia Pilot. We talked, got to know each other, and she convinced me to come with them." He explained.

"Someone's got a hell of a way with words, is that right?"

Walker nodded. "Some of the shit she said makes sense, you know. I mean, even way before all I changed sides I wanted to try and see this war in the eyes of the Militia, to try and not be so one-sided. You get what I'm saying?"

"Yeah, I get you," Carlos said, humming in thought as he rubbed his chin. "I never I actually thought about that, it does make sense."

"I told you," Walker said, pointing at him.

"Another question, who's this 'she' you're referring too?"

Walker cocked his head to his side, gesturing for him to look. Carlos turned his head to see Gates a few meters away talking to Valentine as she reloaded her gear as well.

"Damn," Carlos said. "How'd you two meet?"

"Yeah, I know,"  Walker said.

"Like I said, we both got stuck on some freaky planet. Not as freaky as this planet though. I saved her from being eaten by a bunch of prowlers, treated her wounds, gave her food, and in return, she gave me a place within the Militia. Not as good as my place in the IMC, but it's better than prison." Walker explained, smiling a little bit under his helmet as he recalled the memory of when he first met Amelia.