Spearhead

Updates: I made Roux's eyes dark blue. That's it. 

Also, feel free to comment on anything about the story.

It had been a week since Nick was acquainted with his new squad. Throughout that time, he was properly issued some new gear and weapons. Well, almost new. The stuff they'd given him was obvious second hands and had definitely seen better days.

Walker wasn't entirely complaining but he sure as hell wanted to. But there wasn't any time for that right now. Now, was the time to go to work.

The alarms blared across the entirety of the Morningstar with the 1-MC announcing to the whole crew to go to general quarters, as well as telling all Pilots and riflemen to proceed to the hangar or insertion pods for deployment.

"General quarters! General quarters! This is not a drill! All hands, man your battle stations!"

Walker ran across the hangar, through hordes of scurrying personnel as they headed to their respective posting. As he jogged, he was still fastening and securing all of his gear to his body. He was asleep and only in his regular overalls when the alarms started. His suit was designed to be easily put on and he didn't have much-armored padding as he preferred to stay as light and mobile as possible. In a few more seconds, he was ready. He holstered his sidearm and slung his rifle on his back and began to run faster.

He sliced through the hangar towards where Delta-5 was hanging out. He had no idea what was happening and hoped that the others knew something about it. But as he ran through the hangar, he spotted another familiar figure giving out orders to some guys and decided to go to them. This one had to have info, otherwise, no one does.

"Captain Gates!" He called out to her, jogging to her.

She turned her head to him. "Walker."

"Hi Captain, nice to see you again." He greeted her.

"Likewise. I didn't get to talk to you since after I gave you your squad assignment. How'd it go?" She asked, putting a hand on her hip.

He shrugged. "Went better than expected; in other words, rather good actually." He said.

She nodded. "Good to see you fitting in. See, I told you so."

"Yeah, I guess so." He said.

She narrowed her eyes at him behind her helmet. "You know, this is a conversation for another time, but I'll say this, you're not who I thought you were."

He nodded. "I always knew you had doubts, but what were they."

She lifted up a finger. "Oh, not so fast. I told you this was a conversation for another time. But let's just say that," She placed the finger on his chest. "You've got a heart, unlike anyone else in the Frontier."

That caught him off guard, he was not expecting that whatsoever. Well, in his defense, this was supposed to be Gates, as in 'the Gates' which was described to be ruthless and menacing in those files he'd read about her in the past. So he shifted awkwardly as he came up with a response. "Um, w-well, I-I beg to differ actually. I think I'm just pretty dumb for agreeing to this." He said.

She giggled. "Well, that was the other reason. But it looks like you've got a chance to see which one it really is." She said, gesturing to their surroundings.

"Oh, speaking of that, I came to ask what the hell was going on. Do you know what's going on?" He asked her.

"Command has authorized an attack against an IMC stronghold on the surface of Sotoa, we're just waiting to deploy after our fleet has softened them up from orbit." She explained, taking a more formal tone.