Smashed Cake

*Rocky's Perspective*

As I get in the elevator, I calm down. Ian must've had the wrong news. I don't smell smoke and whilst I didn't use the elevator in the lobby, I didn't see nor hear of anyone panicking. I hit level twenty and scan my card to give me access to my penthouse.

When the elevator gets to the twentieth floor and pings, my eyes immediately dart to a dark foyer. The light in the foyer is always on. I grab my phone, turn on the built in flashlight and hold it against the wall as my hand locates the light switch. I blink a few times adjusting to the sudden brightness as the room shines. Turning the flashlight off, I tuck it into my back pocket and remove my black business jacket as I roll the sleeves of my white shirt up and throw the jacket over my shoulder.

I smile. The penthouse looks perfectly fine. As I walk around the wall separating the foyer from the living space, the lights suddenly go on and in unison I hear the shouts echo, "surprise!"

Ian is standing right and centre as Danny and Tim make their way over to me. Tim throws confetti in the air and I take a step back to avoid it.

I watch Ian. "Whose idea was this?"

He nervously laughs before rubbing the back of his neck. "Collective," he says waving his hand at the group of sixty to seventy people now covering my penthouse.

Danny pats me on the back before smiling. "Happy birthday dude. Who would have thought we'd see this day," he jokes as he slaps my back.

Tim laughs. "Officially waiting for your mid life crisis now."

I shake my head. "I'm not forty yet, my friend."

As the waitress walks past, Tim stretches his hand and grabs a glass of champagne for all of us before lifting his glass in the air. "To Rocky...oh whoops. Mr Hamilton who thought millions weren't enough so went after the billions."

I laugh as I clink my glass to him. "And I'm not stopping yet."

Danny frowns before chuckling. "Oh come on," he says. "Give us a break and let us make it there. I'm still bloody stuck at my administration into the million list."

This is good, this is what I needed but it doesn't seem to feel the same without Sky.

Speaking of Sky, I notice Mikayla waving her hand from across the room. We go way back to primary school. While I got along well with her, Sky didn't. If you would let them, they would go at each other's throats. I remember countless times dragging Sky away from what would have been considered a cat fight. They were on okay terms in primary, the real deal was high school. I guess they were too different.

Mikayla walks overs and throws her arms around my neck giving me a hug. Before Sky, I probably would've hugged her back but all I do is tilt my body to create distance and only put one arm out to pat her on the back. Luckily the hug doesn't last long and she pulls back.

"It's been a long time," she says. "Two years I think since I last saw you."

Danny turns to face me. "How is Sky?"

Mikayla plumps her lips and sighs in Danny's direction before turning to face me. "Oh that's right, you married Sky. How is she because I haven't seen her since high school."

"She's doing fine," I say.

"Is she not here?" She asks.

I shake my head. "Don't think she knows you guys were throwing a surprise party."

"Oh shame," she says smiling making it obvious that she still doesn't like Sky.

Her hand wraps around mine and she pulls me forward. "Come on."