Chapter 19

Alex has spent all day avoiding me. To be honest, I'd avoid me too after what I said last night. The clock strikes ten as I wait for Alex to walk through the door. "You should head upstairs and get to bed soon. You got school tomorrow," Servando says, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I tried texting her earlier to find out when she'd be home, but she left me on read. I just want to talk to her. I need to apologize for what I said," I sigh. "Trust me. When she blows off steam with the team, she's usually out really late," he tells me. "Noted," I sigh and then head upstairs.

...

I'm awoken by the sound of my bedroom door creaking as it's pushed open. The hallway light shines bright in my face as I read the clock on my nightstand. '1:07am.' "Alex?" I say sleepily. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. Just wanted to hang this up. I saw it while I was out today and thought it'd be nice to wear for school," she says. "It's okay. I couldn't sleep anyways," I explain. I make out the silhouette of a dress as she tries to hang it on the door. "Goodnight," she says and turns to leave.

"Alex. Can we please talk?" I beg while turning on my lamp. She sighs, but doesn't say anything. Eventually she gives in and sits on the edge of my bed next to me. "I'm so sorry. I regretted what I said as soon as it came out of my mouth. I never wanted to hurt you. It's not how I really feel. I love you and I'm so grateful for everything you've done for me. And I recognize that even though I've been through a lot, it's no excuse for my behavior," I apologize.

"I appreciate the apology and I forgive you. I know you didn't mean it and that's why I just needed some space to clear my head. I think what actually upset me was accepting that I'm not your mom and that I never will be. And I hate that we were a result of you losing her," she says quietly.

"That's where you're wrong Al. You are my mom. My foster mom. And I love you just as much as I loved my mom. Biology doesn't determine who I call my mom and dad," I explain. She pulls me into a hug to distract me from the tear rolling down her cheek. "I love you. Get some sleep," she says and then pecks my cheek.

...

"Soph wake up. It's 7am," I hear Alex say. I rub the sleep from my eyes and turn to face her. "Can I start tomorrow? I'm not feeling so great," I plead. "You don't feel warm. What's going on?" she frowns. "I feel nauseous. My heart has been pounding all morning. And my hands keep sweating," I tell her. She lets out a laugh and sits on my bed. "That's called anxiety, baby," she says, patting my hand. "It'll pass once you get to school. Why don't you get dressed and then we'll talk more downstairs," she continues. I nod and make my way to the kitchen 15 minutes later.

"Morning Soph. You ready for your first day?" Servando asks. "She's a little nervous this morning," Alex says sympathetically. "Nervous is an understatement. I feel like I'm about to throw up," I say while taking a seat next to Alex. "So that's a no-go on breakfast then?" Servando asks. I nod and then lean my head down on the counter.

I feel Alex rub my back to soothe me. "You're gonna be okay Soph. I'm gonna drop you off this morning and then we'll be there to pick you up at 2pm," she says.

...

"Good luck today babe. The day's gonna fly by. I promise," Alex says and squeezes my hand. "Thanks," I sigh. I give her a quick hug and then get out of the car. She pulls away from the curb and I'm left standing there alone.

"There you are, new kid," I hear someone say. I turn around to see Tucker standing there with a cheeky smile on his face. "You don't know how happy I am to see you," I laugh nervously. "I hope so. You're rolling with me for the rest of the year. I've already taken the liberty of picking up your schedule for you," he says, handing me a piece of paper.