CARING WIFE

In the middle of the night, Akshay started pushing Nakshatra away, feeling uncomfortable she shifted away from him in her sleep. She could feel him perspiring and forcefully she opened her eyes to check on him. His body was warm with sweat beads visible on his forehead, he had a trouble sleeping under the covers.

She woke up in a blink and fetched her medical kit for thermometer.
'Akshay!' she slowly whispered making him groan a little in his not so comfortable sleep.

'Open your mouth, you have fever,' she managed to make him understand in his dizziness. 'Wait here!' she said and left to bring lukewarm water and a towel.

She peeked at the clock which was showing half past 4 in the morning, when she came back he wasn't in bed. She took the thermometer which was in the bed and it read quite a high fever.

'Akshay!' she called out and there was no reply. She found the washroom lights on and knocked twice. 'Akshay, are you there?'
'Yeah!' came a weak reply from him.
'Are you fine?'
'Yeah! Go back to sleep Nakshatra!'he was loud enough.

'He is sick and wants me to rest! Is he out of his mind or what!' She thought. She didn't say anything further and waited outside patiently. Akshay opened the door to find her there standing with half sleepy eyes.

'Didn't I ask you to go back to sleep?' his voice was little coarse.
'But....' before she could speak he went back to bed.

' Are you feeling okay?' Nakshatra followed him.
'Yeah! I got dehydrated!' he said.
'But you have fever,' she said.
'Please leave me alone!' he almost screamed this time.

She was little taken aback, she didn't dare to speak further and switched off the lights before leaving him alone in the room.

Akshay couldn't think why he reacted so, it's true that he wasn't used to be taken care of, he was quite independent and always took care of himself, he never liked anyone's presence when he was sick,but here when Nakshatra was concerned he felt as if she was invading his personal space. He realised it was his fault, he shouldn't have acted like that. He had promised her to change his trivial habits like this and she always gave him that space. Now he craved for her, he wanted her next to him.

Nakshatra came back with a glass of milk. She found him awake and switched on the bed lights.
'When a person is sick, it's quite irritable for them so it's fine! I will make him drink this and let him sleep,' she thought.

'Akshay!' she said with a feeble voice.
He looked at her and there was a spark in his weak eyes, he really wanted her to be next to him, he wanted her to care for him. He wanted to let himself to be with her.

'Have this!' She said placing the tray in front of him. He woke up and took the glass filled with milk. Akshay saw her keeping the tablets on a plate and was about to leave.

'Nakshu......' he called out and pointed the place in front of him to sit, she sat without any second thought.

'Sorry! I didn't mean what I said, I mean I don't want you to leave the room,' Akshay said without looking at her. She smiled at him,'Akshay! I m not going anywhere'.

Akshay gave her a weak smile.
'I don't want you to see me like this! That's why I...,' Nakshatra interrupted him by saying,' Akshay! It's okay!
I know you need some time to adjust, it's just been few months of our marriage'.