Chapter 5

She'd never take the simple pleasures in life for granted again.

After a bath and a hot meal, Alice felt marginally restored. She and Cora had been shown to their father's lodgings where they'd both taken turns in the tub washing their hair and scrubbing the past two days' worth of dirt and grime off their bodies. As promised, Mrs McCaan had provided both of them with something clean to wear. The dresses were nothing fancy, but she didn't particularly care, grateful because anything freshly laundered would have been preferable to spending another day in her filthy pink gown.

Sitting on the bed while Cora brushed the knots out of her long golden mane, Alice asked hesitatingly, "Do you think Mr Poe and his companions will leave now that we are safely with Papa?"

Behind her she felt her sister's hands falter slightly before resuming their work. "I do not know... though I would think so, yes."

Her hopes came crashing down. I'm never going to see him again, she thought wretchedly.

"They are an odd trio," she commented absent-mindedly.

"Yes," Cora concurred, a peculiar fondness in her voice. "Did you know that Chingachgook adopted Mr Poe as a child after both his parents were killed?"

Alice shook her head, her hair brushing against the back of her neck. "How odd. It does make sense though, now that you mention it. They behave like a family."

"Hmmm," Cora agreed.

Turning towards her sister, Alice regarded her seriously. "Cora, what will happen to us?"

Her sibling smiled indulgently. "Do not worry about that, Alice. Everythin-"

"...will be all right, I know," she finished irritably. "I've heard that already. I want to know what's really going to happen."

Cora looked taken aback by her fervour. "Nothing bad," she stated, unconvincingly.

Alice stood, feeling an irrational burst of anger towards the other woman. "Do not lie to me! I think I've seen enough over the past two days' to indicate that all will not be well here."

"Alice?" Cora asked, concern darkening her features as she moved to touch her arm. "Where is this coming from?"

"I do not wish to be treated as a feeble child," she declared boldly, surprising herself. "I want to know the truth."

Cora looked shocked and honestly, Alice could understand why. She never challenged anyone, that was more her sister's domain. Ordinarily she just accepted what was told to her without question. However, the thought of doing so now, after everything she'd just lived through made her feel unusually angry.

She was about to repeat the question when Cora replied, "The French are gaining the upper hand, and quickly. Nonetheless, father has sent a courier to Colonel Webb at Fort Edward requesting reinforcements."

"Will they get here in time?"

Cora nodded. "If all goes to plan, day after tomorrow."

Relief seeping into her bones, she sank into the softness of the mattress.

"And the local militia?" she asked, remembering the atrocity that had occured at the Cameron's cabin. "Will they be granted leave?"

A flicker of anger flashed in Cora's eyes. "No," she said softly.

"No?" Alice echoed in disbelief. She'd seen first hand what was happening to their homes, to their families.

"Duncan did not corroborate Mr Poe's story and so father denied the militia's request to leave."