Chapter 4

Though very much alive, they spent their first night on the trail to the Fort amidst the dead.

Despite understanding the reasons behind choosing a burial ground as their place of refuge, to Alice, the fact that corpses were suspended above her head was not a particularly comforting sight. Duncan had explained to her that some Indian tribes were superstitious about disturbing the dead and as such, it was the safest place to be.

So, after a supper of more jerky and water, they settled down for the night. Not that she knew how she'd ever get a moments rest when death was quite literally staring her in the face. If anyone had told Alice that she'd soon be spending an evening beneath the stars she might have found the reveal exciting. However, had they added that she'd also be sharing that space with the mummified remains of deceased natives, she would have balked. This was definitely not the turn she'd envisioned her adventure taking.

Uncas, who'd left a while earlier to do some scouting, returned with the somber news that they were being tracked, probably by the same war party who'd raided the Cameron's cabin. Having seen what they were capable of, the news was more than a little frightening. In preparation, the men checked their ammunition and took up defensive positions. Chingachgook headed to the back, standing in the shadow of a tall tree, his eyes deftly staring into the night. Nathaniel was behind a grassy bank, his rifle laying in wake beside him should it be required. Uncas, also behind the bank but further away, was the closest to her. This arrangement was a tremendous relief, though for what reason she couldn't say, or more accurately, refused to examine.

She and Cora had been instructed to stay hidden amongst the taller grass where it would be difficult to spot them in the bright light being cast by the full moon. Duncan was at their side, his musket at the ready. While they all waited, armament at hand, to see if they would be discovered, the tension inside her body slowly mounted to nearly unbearable levels.

Cora, who'd been distracted ever since her confrontation with Nathaniel, had been sneaking looks in his direction all evening. Alice knew this to mean that her sister felt guilty about her harsh words and was probably thinking of the best way to approach him without having to sacrifice too much of her pride. She must have reached some inner settlement because without warning, she stood and hastily made her way over to where he lay crouched on the ground. Out of ear-shot, Alice couldn't decipher what they were saying, not that she would have been interested in eavesdropping even if she could. Duncan, clearly unhappy with the new arrangement, turned his back to her as he watched the couple through narrowed eyes.

Sitting with her legs drawn up, her hands circling her knees, Alice laid her head down and tightly squeezed her eyes shut. Everything was so still it felt as though they'd been frozen in time, no one moving, no one making a sound. Except for her. In the silence, her breathing sounded about as subtle as rain on a tin roof, at least to her own ears. She was hyperventilating; a condition she tried desperately to gain control over, but seemed to be failing miserably.

Suddenly there was a rustle in the grass, the faint breeze carrying words in a language she didn't understand. Prompted into action, the men grabbed their weapons and got into position, the clicks of their collective guns as they were cocked shattering her nerves. She was shivering uncontrollably, her breaths now coming in gasps. There was something out there and she was afraid. She could hear those whispers drawing ever closer, her heart pumping faster with each passing second.

Even with Duncan at her side, she felt exposed, at risk. The sentiment was unjust and she felt disloyal for even thinking it, but it was true. The only time she'd felt completely safe since they'd left the carnage of George Road behind them, had been when she was with Uncas. She didn't understand it, why he specifically had a way of making her feel so protected, as though nothing could harm her with him at her side. Perhaps it was the way in which he went about things, with a quiet determination that held no hint of arrogance or conceit; so capable. Or perhaps it was because he always seemed to be there when she needed him, someone she could count on, no matter what. Or perhaps it was because he'd never been anything but kind and gentle, even when her own sister would have long since lost patience with her. From the moment they'd met, he'd done nothing but help and support her, always with the same unwavering forebearance that she'd come to attribute to him.