Epilogue: Part II

A/N: This chapter contains explicit sexual content.

Alice couldn't believe that she was finally a married woman.

After the ceremony had concluded, there'd been feasting, dancing and song as the entire village partook in the celebrations. There was a joyous atmosphere about, the sounds of laughter and merriment wafting up into the night sky. In some ways it felt surreal that this day had actually come, and that she was now forever changed as a result of it. She knew that nothing would ever be the same again, that her course in life had now been mapped and was heading in a direction that was both unexpected as well as exhilarating.

Half an hour before, Cora and Gela had collected her from her seat around the central fire, whispering that it was time to get her ready. With them hovering smilingly above her, hands outstretched to help her to her feet, she'd glanced shyly at her new husband. Sitting close beside her, a large hand resting leisurely on her knee, he'd been responding to something Talee had said. Distracted by the commotion around her, his eyes had swung around to meet hers, her stomach fluttering wildly as she read the promise of sensual delights to come in those deep, dark depths.

Now, standing in the wigwam she would be sharing with Uncas as man and wife, she felt the thrum of nervous anticipation lick its way through her veins. She wasn't completely ignorant of the marriage act and knew the mechanics of what was supposed to happen. A part of her was unsure of exactly how it was practically possible, another part was wildly intrigued to find out and another was a little mortified by the complete intimacy of it. But regardless of those feelings, she wasn't unwilling. She'd spent enough time in Uncas's arms to know that it would not all be unpleasant.

Cora was assisting her with loosening the long row of buttons at the back of her gown, while Gela removed the beads and feathers from her hair. Once undone, her sister helped her remove her arms and pushed the dress down past her hips until it pooled on the floor at her feet. Waiting for her to step out, Gela bent to retrieve it while her sibling eyed her speculatively. All she was wearing was her short, cotton chemise, her stockings and shoes having been discarded first.

Alice squirmed a little, feeling exposed and vulnerable in only the thin covering.

"You look somewhat uncomfortable," Cora noted, amused.

"As you are aware, I have not stood in front of an audience in my undergarments for quite some time," Alice defended. The days of having maids and servants at her beck and call were long gone. Wringing her hands nervously, she asked, "Is it really necessary to remain so…unclad?"

Gela waved a hand dismissively. "You have husband now. You not need so much clothes."

Cora giggled and Alice's face flamed with colour. She glared at Gela. The young Indian women looked anything but contrite.

"It's true," she insisted, undeterred by Alice's stare. Her brown eyes swivelled towards Cora, gesturing in the direction of the brunette's thick waist. Grinning wickedly, she said, "Uncas is strong warrior. He fill your belly with many children."

Alice gasped and Cora snorted with laughter as she ran a hand lovingly over her tummy. For a moment, Alice stared, realising that she, too, could soon find herself in a similar condition. In truth, the idea of a child, formed from the love that she and Uncas shared, had a power that was quite staggering. Unbidden, her mind's eye conjured the image of a little boy, all bronzed skin and dark eyes and her heart swelled with a yearning she'd never felt before.

"We go now," Gela was saying as she moved closer to Alice and touched her arm. "Soon you will be a true woman, Wenonah." She hugged Alice, who returned the embrace fondly.