002. case in point

She let her long straight hair flow freely as she buttoned up her blue shirt and zipped up her dress pants. She decorated her ears with dainty earrings, adding a simple necklace that held a single diamond.

Her nails were a nude pink and her lips were a bold red, contrasting perfectly. The wing of her eyeliner was sharp and pointed. She gave one last glance at herself in the mirror before grabbing her briefcase and slipping on a pair of black pointed heels.

She drove to the courthouse, meeting her client and her partner in a conference room that was provided.

"Ms. Lin, a pleasure to see you again," Jihyun said, giving a soft smile to the middle-aged woman.

"Are you sure we should be doing this? I mean, he is a man with a lot of power, he could-"

"With all due respect, Ms. Lin, I am also a woman with a lot of power. Your ex-husband has abused his power, that is a law broken in its self. You are doing the right thing, you will be protecting you and your children by doing this." Jihyun smiled, Jinho looked at his partner with a smirk. Jihyun brushed him off.

"Are you ready? We'll be with you the whole time." Ms. Lin nodded, walking with her two lawyers into the courtroom.

They made their way to the front, ignoring the people who were overlooking the case.

As it began, witnesses walked up and spoke.

Then they had the children walk up.

The son was 14, and the daughter was 12. Jihyun walked up to them with a soft smile, she had gotten to know them over the past few weeks that they've been preparing the case. The children found peace in Jihyun's presence.

"Mr. Lin, on December 18th, 2016, 3 months ago, it was your sister's birthday, correct?"

"Yes." He nodded.

"And, you were aware that your father was intoxicated?" Jihyun continued. The boy nodded. "And in your words, you witnessed 'his hand waved in the air, hitting mom's face within seconds.'"

"He hurt her that night."

"I'm sorry you had to see that but did you see or hear anything else?"

"My mom... she was crying and screaming, I was hiding my sister behind the counters but I heard him swearing at my mom."

"You had to go to the hospital after, didn't you?"

"My father passed out on the couch and I called the ambulance." His voice wavered, Jihyun's eyes softened as she handed the medical documents to the judge.

"Broken ribs, busted lip, bruised cheekbone and fractured wrist, all from blunt force, your honour." Jihyun paced the floors, facing the judge and the defendant. Her movements were fluid, having done this countless times, even though she only had two years of experience.

Hours passed in the courtroom. The jury voting in favour of Ms. Lin, Jihyun smiled at her as she gave the young lawyer a hug.

"Thank you."

"Always. You're safe from him now, be happy."

"Thank you, so much."

♚♚♚

"Good work today, Ms. Jeon."

"Thank you, Jinho." Jihyun smiled as they walked out of the courtroom. The sun shined down at the two of them, flowers were starting to bloom after the harsh winter months,

"Consider yourself my number one choice in being the biggest shareholder of our firm." Jihyun paused.

"What?"

"I mean, even though it's only been two years since you got a job at the firm, you're our best lawyer. You have almost 100% success rate and that one case that you didn't win was... stupid. You have things to learn but we all do, you're a good lawyer, despite age and experience. Are you ready for it though?"

Jihyun cocked her head to the side, giving him a look as she tried to read him.

"What?"

"I just thought you'd hate me since I've rejected you... 14 times?" Jihyun smirked.

"That's your loss, I could care less. I can have anyone else I want." Jihyun laughed and started to walk off.

"Come on, we need to get back to the firm."

♚♚♚

She walks back into her office only for her assistant to tell her that a client has requested her. She sighs but agrees to meet them after she says that they're an important company.

The man walks into her office and she gives him a smile, shaking his hands as she greets him.

"How can I help you?"

"I'm the CEO of BigHit entertainment and you've made quite the reputation in your two years of law experience." He smiled, Jihyun nodded, letting him take a seat across of her. "There have been some... issues with words being thrown around about my idol group and we are planning to sue them."

"I'm sorry sir, sue them for spouting a couple of rumours about the group? If I may, isn't it a little extreme?"

"Not when their comments cause media outlets to pick them up and damage their reputation, and on top of that we have had many death threats come our way. It's simply just protecting ourselves."

Jihyun nodded, giving him a soft smile.

"I'll open a case, I assume you have some pieces of evidence?"

"Thousands."

"Good, I'll be in touch." She said, standing up to shake the man's hand.

"Thank you, we look forward to working with you."

Jihyun watched as he left, scoffing at the fact that a company needed to sue people for making rumours about an idol. It was all apart of the deal, she could understand the death threats but rumours? Defamation is serious but is it worth suing a possible child over it?

She shook her head as she grabbed the file that her new client had given her assistant, thousands of IP addresses and usernames on various types of media platforms. They went all over the world, New York, Australia, Alberta, Sydney, everywhere.

Jihyun bit the inside of he cheek as she read over every name, scanning the document. She tried to figure out what to do next.

She stayed in her office well into the early morning that day.