Part Five | And The Worst Part

February 17th - Violet

"So you've still not replied to her?" asks Brody.

Violet frowns and pushes her mug of tea between her open palms. "I don't know what to say to her," she admits. "Clementine texted four hours ago now, and I just can't bring myself to reply to her."

"And why's that?" mutters Brody, covering her mouth with her fingers as she chews absentmindedly on a slice of toast.

Violet looks down at her mug and catches the hazy reflection of her face in the beige colour of her too-milky-for-her-liking tea. "It's just, I know it's over, so maybe we don't even need to talk, what's the point?"

Violet clasps her fingers tighter around the china mug, focusing on the heat seeping out from the tea into her open palms. Brody watches Violet's hands for a second, before meeting her green orbs again and silently gesturing for the blonde to continue speaking.

Violet sighs and removes one hand from the mug to brush through the same strand of blonde hair. Over and over again, as if the motion brings Violet some comfort. "If I'm being honest with you Brody, I told her to arrange to meet me today so she'd let me leave last night. Now the day is actually here, I don't know if I can even stomach seeing her. Though on the other hand, maybe I overreacted last night. She told me that she hadn't cheated on me, and I still flipped out."

"If you take her word for it then yeah, she never physically cheated," explains Brody as she rubs her hands together to get rid of any lingering crumbs from the toast. "But if she has feelings for Louis, you have no idea the sort of stuff she could have gone to him with, the secrets the two of them share. It's an emotional affair at best."

"And at worst?" questions Violet as she pushes her mug away from her.

Brody shrugs and offers a heartfelt smile. "I don't know Vi, you shouldn't really think about these things. What you should do, is talk to Clem and figure out what's been going on, where you two stand now. That is of course if you still want to be with her."

Violet flicks her eyes towards the small red radio on the counter by the oven while she thinks. Before the music blaring out of the speakers had been nothing more than a senseless droning, but as the next song begins to pick up, the blonde tunes into the music.

Even though no one has touched the radio since entering the kitchen, Violet feels like the sound has greatly amplified in the small space between them, and she frowns as she hears Dionne Warwick's sad voice woefully asking why her lover has to be a heartbreaker.

"Can we turn that off?" says Violet with a frown, gesturing to the radio, feeling her own heartache as she resonates with the lyrics.

Brody listens for a moment before silently catching onto Violet's reasonings. Eventually, the older girl crosses the room, flicking off the power switch just as the line 'you made a life out of hurting me,' emits through the speakers.

"Sorry," says the auburn-haired girl as she returns to her seat. "Are things that bad?"

"You could say that," replies the blonde as she looks back at her tea.

Violet clears her throat and looks around Brody's cramped kitchen. "What happened after I left last night," she asks, not sure that she even wants to know the answer.

Brody drums her fingers against the counter while she thinks. "The whole night was a bit of a blur after that," she explains, darting her eyes between Violet and the floor as if she's picking her words carefully, aware just how delicate this situation is.

"Clementine stormed back into the cabin in floods of tears after you left, and then she started screaming at Louis that he had ruined everything. She was so drunk that she could hardly stand. I don't know if she knew what she was even saying," states Brody as she continues to tap her fingernails against the wooden table.