Chapter 8

There was blood splattered everywhere on the forest floor, the sky was gloomy and the only sound that echoed in the trees was Jackson's howls of sorrow and desperation. Despite their slight falling-out, it hurt the pack to hear the pain in his voice, the weeping cries of a werewolf for their fallen mate.

Sometime between Scott's pack and the Alpha pack fighting, Jackson had managed to drag himself to Stiles's side, wailing in pain at the sight of his mate motionless on the hard forest floor. The wolf circled Stiles's pale vulnerable form, choking out whines, begging Stiles to respond, and curling his body around the human in defeat when the teen remained limp.

It was disheartening for the pack to see the werewolf who had been so ready to fight both Scott's pack and the Alpha's tooth and nail only to have collapsed the moment Stiles had been attacked.

They were lucky in a sense though, besides Stiles, no one else had suffered any major injuries, most of them were spurred on adrenaline and jumped into the fight after Deucalion had attacked Stiles. But the Alpha pack had slipped away during the standstill, following Deucalion who had dashed mid-fight, right after sinking his fangs into Stiles.

"Come on guys, let's get him to Deaton's," as tired as Scott was, it was the least he could do for his former best friend and pack mate.

.

"Will he be okay, Deaton?" Issac bit his lip in worry, watching Jackson strategically jump up onto the bed to settle by Stiles's side without stepping on him. Jackson's calm demeanor was very contrasting from when they tried to touch his mate earlier. The blond wolf had nearly ripped their hands off when Scott went to lift up Stiles in his arms so he could get him to Deaton's faster. Only giving way when Scott practically growled a threat at Jackson about his mate. It was wrong, but Issac could see why Scott had done so, Stiles's heart rate had spiked earlier and had steadily begun to slow on their way to the clinic.

"You already know the chances of a werewolf bite taking, all that's left is for us to wait." The tension was heavy in the room, all the occupants watching the pair lying on the makeshift bed.

"But he's Jackson's true mate, shouldn't that mean the bite should take?" taking place in an empty corner, Derek asked the veterinarian remembering Peter saying something along those lines when he last met with his uncle.

"While that is true, the only time the bite will one hundred percent take is if the werewolf bites their true mate, but since Deucalion was the one who bit Stiles, the odds are the same as any bite between a wolf and human," the silence was deafening, tension filling the room when everyone realized the only option left was to wait.

"Should we call his dad?"

Without a pause, Scott responded, "No, we can't have him finding out about the supernatural," somehow the mood of the room got even more somber at Scott's admission.

"What the hell Scott?! This isn't about us anymore, Stiles got hurt because of us! Can't you see that! He doesn't trust us anymore, all he has is his dad. If this were you with your mom I bet you'd want us to tell her. So, why are you keeping Stiles and the sheriff apart?" It was becoming clear to Issac that maybe Scott has been in the wrong the whole time. That maybe... maybe the whole incident between Scott and Stiles was meant to happen. How could Scott just dismiss Stiles's only family over the safety of their pack, especially when Stiles used to be pack.

Lydia who had been quiet this whole time finally spoke up after hearing them argue, "Scott, I think we might have to. I hate to say it, but it doesn't look like Stiles is going to survive," the room collectively all looked at Lydia after hearing her words and the tremor of fear in her voice. "Look at him, I might not know everything, but Stiles definitely is looking a lot worse for wear than he was when we brought him in."